Uploading geometry

Started by
4 comments, last by Brother Bob 12 years, 6 months ago
Can you "upload" geometry to the GPU like you upload textures?
Looping through all my meshes ten times per frame is somewhat ugly.
Advertisement
Yes, this is what vertex/index buffers are for. What do you mean by 'looping through your meshes'?

Can you "upload" geometry to the GPU like you upload textures?
Looping through all my meshes ten times per frame is somewhat ugly.

your thinking about geometry shaders and putting a mesh through that , i got this explained to me the other day
geomery shaders are good for poins lines and quads, you can throw 1,000,000 structs for particles at this and the fram rate stays good, but for complicated data , as in meshs you need to use instancing still
Thanks! That cleared things up a bit for me.

What do you mean by 'looping through your meshes'?[/quote]

I meant sending millons of GlVertex3f for each frame.

Thanks! That cleared things up a bit for me.

What do you mean by 'looping through your meshes'?

I meant sending millons of GlVertex3f for each frame.
[/quote]

glvertex3f is a part of the deprecated immediate mode and hasn't really been used in professional games for ages (in computer time).

Vertex Arrays have been supported since OpenGL 1.1 (1997) , and Vertex Buffer Objects since 1.5 (2003). (Current version is 4.2).

[s](Vertex Arrays are a part of the now deprecated fixed function pipeline, but they are still significantly better than immediate mode glVertex calls)[/s] (Incorrect, see BBs post below)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

(Vertex Arrays are a part of the now deprecated fixed function pipeline, but they are still significantly better than immediate mode glVertex calls)

No, vertex arrays are not deprecated. What is deprecated is the ability to store vertex arrays in user managed memory. Today you must store the vertex arrays in a buffer object and driver managed memory, but you still need the vertex array mechanism to draw the vertex buffers. VBO by itself doesn't do anything but store vertex data.

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1318766197' post='4873101']
(Vertex Arrays are a part of the now deprecated fixed function pipeline, but they are still significantly better than immediate mode glVertex calls)

No, vertex arrays are not deprecated. What is deprecated is the ability to store vertex arrays in user managed memory. Today you must store the vertex arrays in a buffer object and driver managed memory, but you still need the vertex array mechanism to draw the vertex buffers. VBO by itself doesn't do anything but store vertex data.
[/quote]

Vertex arrays are deprecated. What is deprectated is the ability to store vertex information in user managed memory (aka Vertex Arrays). Today you store the vertex information in a buffer object and driver managed memory, but you still need a mechanism (which happens to be the same as that used for Vertex Arrays) to draw the vertex buffers. VBO or VA by itself doesn't do anything but store vertex data.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement