Sign in to follow this  
zacaj

MS3D seems to have wrong data?

Ive been trying to get my skeletal animation system working, so Ive been using Milkshape 3D to make test models, and importing them with Assimp. The models werent displaying correctly, and after searching backwards from the rendering code back through all the loading code and not being able to find why one joint had the opposite x translation that it was supposed to, I finally looked in the MS3D file itself, and then verified by looking in an MS3D ascii version of the same file that its actually outputting seemingly wrong numbers for joint 3. (The X coordinate for frame 2 should be negative 10 (or actually, maybe all the other joints should also be positive 10?)) Of course, Milkshape still can load the files fine, so it seems there must be some part of the milkshape 3d specification that Im not taking into account when I look in the files manually and that assimp isnt taking into account either(or else Im incorrectly parsing something its loading). I cant tell if its a problem with assimp itself since the assimp viewer crashes when it loads my ms3d file. When I exported to a different format (b3d) from milkshape and loaded that with assimp, it loaded and displayed fine.

I had the same problem, and eventually abandoned the format for skeletal animations (for demonstrations I just use procedurally generated content now...). I recall reading that you should zero the joints out at some point in the animation process, but I don't ever recall getting it to work. I would be very interested to hear if someone else has found a solution to the problem though!