Game Design - How to Build Your Own Virtual Server / MUD Game

Started by
5 comments, last by malifaxcavey 12 years, 5 months ago
These are some beginner tips on how to start your own virtual server or MUD game. I used these when working with the MUD32 codebase using Visual Basic. I still have all the old code for the changes I made to the server if anyone wants to see it.

Game Design - How to Build Your Own Virtual Server / MUD Game

Please let me know how I can improve this guide. Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Please let me know how I can improve this guide. Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

References. You make a lot of assertions but don't back them up. So a reader may ask: on what authority do you make your claim that the free-to-play model is superior to the subscription model? Lacking references your article appears to just be a collection of one person's personal opinions.

[quote name='malifaxcavey' timestamp='1318776094' post='4873127']

References. You make a lot of assertions but don't back them up. So a reader may ask: on what authority do you make your claim that the free-to-play model is superior to the subscription model? Lacking references your article appears to just be a collection of one person's personal opinions.
[/quote]

I have read many game design books and articles. I will embed some references in the article when I get some more free-time to dig out where I learned all of this stuff from.
A free-to-play model is more favorable to the players than a subscription model. You can build a large player base just by leaving your game free. Many successful MMORPG's to date have done just that. Some have done the exact opposite and at one point you had to pay to play and now they are free. Players love a free game but it's very hard to create a cool game without any financial resources.

[quote name='latent' timestamp='1318808937' post='4873270']

[/quote]

I have read many game design books and articles. I will embed some references in the article when I get some more free-time to dig out where I learned all of this stuff from.
A free-to-play model is more favorable to the players than a subscription model. You can build a large player base just by leaving your game free. Many successful MMORPG's to date have done just that. Some have done the exact opposite and at one point you had to pay to play and now they are free. Players love a free game but it's very hard to create a cool game without any financial resources.
[/quote]

WoW kinda disproves both of those, so far. ;)

[quote name='malifaxcavey' timestamp='1318817427' post='4873292']
[quote name='latent' timestamp='1318808937' post='4873270']

[/quote]

[/quote]

WoW kinda disproves both of those, so far. ;)
[/quote]

WoW was never free that I can remember. But just think of how popular it would be if it was free. I don't currently keep a WoW subscription but if it became free then I would definitely start playing it again. :)

WoW was never free that I can remember. But just think of how popular it would be if it was free. I don't currently keep a WoW subscription but if it became free then I would definitely start playing it again. :)

WoW right now is free to play up to level 20.
Really? I think I may try it out then. Thanks for the info! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement