Sign in to follow this  
pcmaster

Memory. Can I get more?

Hello!

I've been wondering for the past months, if there is a way to force the runtime/driver to give me more memory. For example, on systems with 6.00 GB to 18.0 GB system RAM, I get this from the runtime:

GTX460 (2048 MB): 2020 + 0 + 2067 MB (System with 12.0 GB RAM)
HD5700 (1024 MB): 1012 + 0 + 2782 MB (System with 6.0 GB RAM)
HD5700 (1024 MB): 1010 + 0 + 3839 MB (System with 8.0 GB RAM, display connected)
GTX460 (768 MB): 738 + 0 + 3327 MB (System with 8.0 GB RAM, no display connected)

The sizes are queried via IDXGIAdapter1::GetDesc1() and are [font="Courier New"]DXGI_ADAPTER_DESC1::DedicatedVideoMemory + DXGI_ADAPTER_DESC1::DedicatedSystemMemory + DXGI_ADAPTER_DESC1::SharedSystemMemory[/font].

All computers are Windows 7 x64, with the latest to second-latest drivers (that is latest NVIDIA drivers and 11.8 and 11.9 Catalyst). It doesn't seem to depend on page-file size, number of connected adapters, their order, whether there is a monitor connected or whether they are queried while a RDP driver is running or from console user session.

I'd really love to see more shared memory. Is there a way?
And another question: Does SLI/CrossFire combine/add-up/share graphics adapter memories anyhow? The first two systems are single PCIe, the last two entries are a system with heterogeneous cards.

I'm very afraid, too. What bugs me is why I get so different amounts on really similar systems. The driver/runtime has to calculate it somehow, based on something. Everybody can see that 4.0 GB isn't the limit at all (I'm getting over 4.5 GB on other machines, too). There's plenty of slow (doesn't matter) system RAM available :-(