Sign in to follow this  
reinac

which game programming paradigm?

Yesterday i looked through the document about pitfalls of oop.

My my question is. Which paradigm should I use? I will use the oop for setting up the GUI.
But what should I use for the core game functionality?

Procedural, functionalty , data oriented Design ...
Whats the difference between them?

I come from the c# xna section and never programmed this way.
This should het done in C++.

Thx

You are worrying about the wrong things.

Programming paradigms might be interesting, but its not something that will impact you anytime soon.

Its much more important to get up to speed, so use whatever programming paradigm you feel comfortable with, then focus on the actual game, and what algoritms you need to implement the game.

There will be no game where you will find that you "can't do it, because I should've gone procedural instead of OOP"

Until you have reached guru status there will be many many many other places where you're time is better spend optimizing.

[quote]
You are worrying about the wrong things.
[/quote]
QFT

No paradigm is perfect. You'll likely be using some mixture of them anyway. Learn as many paradigms as you can (not necessarily up-front), and learn when to apply them. You'll be a better programmer when you can choose the correct tool for the job, rather than trying to use one tool for everything.

That's what you get for reading the document!

As already said, no paradigm is perfect, which is why C++, C# and to a lesser degree Java are all general purpose languages which do not confine you to a single style. Mix and match and use what works, just be consistent in your implementation!

I am pretty sure we are dealing with ESL here,but what is [color=#1C2837][size=2]demographische ? :)[/size][/color]