Sign in to follow this  
Lxu

Good Practices: General Shape Collision Detection?

Hello Guys,

I'm programming a 2d game, and i'm trying to use some good programming practices as far as i'm able to see.
I have a general entity class that represents some logical entity in my game, that can interact with the world.
To handle collision detection im using a generic interface of a shape, that represents my entities boundaries. Currently the available implementations are just simple shapes like circles and rectangles, but in the future i will like to have some composed shape implementation.
My shape interface has a method that test if this instance collide against other shape.

So, my problem is that to test this i need to now about the specific shape type, using an if verification to test what is the particular object instance (if is an rectangle-rectangle test i use some algorithm, if is a circle-rectangle i will use another).
I'm interested in know if there is some other approach that i can use, so i dont need to test the instance type, being able to scale this architecture with just some new class implementation.

Ty =)

I don't see mention of [i]broadphase [/i]and [i]narrowphase[/i]. Those are two very important steps.
What you do seems to be fairly similar to what Bullet does so it [b]can [/b]be correct... provided you don't screw it! :P

The normal solution to this problem is [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dispatch"]double dispatch[/url]. You haven't specified a language so hard to go into more detail but if C++, this language doesn't support double dispatch too well and it requires a certain amount of boilerplate.

An alternative, if you create a bunch of free functions that can test each combination of shapes, is to create a 2D array of function pointers indexed by some type value that a shape can return. This does involve a kind of instance test but is more extensible than other methods. If memory serves, [url="http://www.metanetsoftware.com/technique/tutorialA.html"]Metanet use this approach in N[/url].

However, good software engineering aside for a moment, last time I wrote a 2D collision system I gave up over-engineering when I realised that all 2D shapes I required could be described by an aggregation of polygons and circles so I just wrote a shape class that switched on these two types. If memory serves, I later expanded this to specialize for OOBBs as well as the test was so trivial it seemed worthwhile.

While not the "correct" way to do it, in a system where the number of types is never going to grow beyond a small, known number it is sometimes simpler to solve this way.