Sign in to follow this  
Juliean

Cpu/Gpu particle idea

Hi, I'm having an idea for particles on both the cpu and the gpu. This includes two steps:

- Calculating the particles position on cpu side, using complex physics like particle hygrodynamics.

- Then lock a floating point texure, store positions in there, and use that texture in combination with eigther rotation component as shader constant for billboards or pointsprites as well as the ViewProjection-matrix to construct the final WorldViewProjection-matrix in the vertexshader.

Is this a suitable solution? Should I re-locate any of these calculations to eigther cpu/gpu? I need a complex physics simulation so I can't simply update positions in the shader. Will this method perform well in combination with instancing? I'm considering this because my current implementation constructing a WVP-matrix per frame for every particle and writing it to the instance-buffer is performing bad with like 10.000 or more. I want to go for ~ 500.000 on high quality settings on a modern cpu without bottlenecking my game. Is this possible with my suggestion? Will it even work the way I think? I can't write it till saturday, so I want to collect and plan out some ideas..

I suggest you do it all on the GPU using something like a Compute Shader or a Vertex Shader to do the physics and stream to a buffer which can then be passed to a shader to be rendered. Passing such large buffers between CPU and GPU is always going to be a major bottleneck.

Thanks for the suggestions, however currently I'm stuck with directx 9 so a compute shader isn't going to work well.

Using a vertex shader is an option, but would it really work well? I need to store speed, velocity, multiple force fields with different shapes.. Wouldn't this mean having to perform many tex2d reads per frame for each particle? I'm already having a huge fillrate-consumation due to many effects (shaodws, ssao, atmo-scattering, hdr..). I think that locking, filling and u locking an, say 1024x1024 (1 mio particles) texture per frame while calculating physics on the cpu should be faster. Am I wrong?