Sign in to follow this  
circassia

Important Funcs like Perlin-Noise, Gaussian Weights

Hi @ all,

i want to implement some important functions now for shaders and would like to ask therefore, which ones you have in mind like Perlin-Noise, Gaussian weights, which are computed on the CPU.

We are working as team and i will then give those tasks to friends, who will implement them, so that the effect-programmers can use those varying variables.

It would be very cool, if you could give me some input.

thank you very much

Wouldn't it be better if you had them implement these on a need-basis?

If you're managing their man-hours, and you have them spend them implementing things that *might* be used rather than things that *will* be used, you will be wasting their time.

I don't really get it either.
You implement functions [i]when[/i] they are important [i]for the project[/i].

Implementing things before you need them is the best way to make überly general and therefore useless functions, and/or to tie your own hands with those functions you implemented by trying to solve a problem with those, and/or to waste time with stuff that will be never used.

You face a problem, you research it and/or you think about it, then you research the things that are needed for solving the problem [i]then[/i] you implement them. Not the opposite way around.

IMHO

Hmmm okey maybe i did a bad phrase, of course we are not doing senseless implementations, but there are several things, which is needed very often.

As i said: gaussian weights (must have)
perlin noise (must have)
mira gumowski (nice to have)

So, which effects do you know, which needs variables computed on the CPU? We will not be able to change our cpu code for a while, but our effect-programmers departement (students) will work on new effects. So :) don't try to understand the working-system. We just want to create a set of effects and i need know input from you.

Thank you very much

Are you asking what you should compute on the CPU and what you should compute on the GPU (If so, my answer is: it entirely depends on what you're computing and for what purpose)? Or is it something different? I know English may not be your first language, but your wording is confusing and it isn't clear exactly what you are asking.