• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Corefanatic

DX11 [DX11] Weird problem with deferred contexts

This topic is 2609 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,

So I have my little demo using deferred contexts up and running. There are no problems with rendering, everything works. In this demo, I can switch between parallel rendering and sequential.

In debug mode, when I switch from sequential to parallel I get a nice speed boost, since the command lists are created in parallel. However, when I compile in release, I see the exact opposite. I have verified with Intel's GPA trace capture that my parallelism works, however my frame rate tanks.

So I've spent few days trying to find a problem somewhere in my code. Came up with nothing. So I started thinking there must be something wrong with my system, drivers etc.

To verify this hypothesis I went and downloaded Intel's Nulstein 2.0 demo (available here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/nulstein/). it does very same thing as my demo does, uses deferred contexts and builds command lists in parallel using tasking.

When I switch on deferred contexts in Nulstein I get the same problem, the frame rate just tanks. On a clean machine without any development stuff the Nulstein works and scales.

So where do you think the problem could be? I would really like to avoid reinstalling my system.

P.S. : I did update my drivers

Advertisement
How are you measuring the frame rate? Internally to your program, or with an external system? Also, are you running the programs from the Visual Studio IDE? If so, you will probably see big performance hits compared to running the exe's alone (at least I did while working on my deferred context tests).

Try using Fraps to show the frame rate while running the exe's natively and see if that helps anything.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!