• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Akusei

Question about Managers

39 posts in this topic

I've read a few times on this forum that the use of any kind of Manager is frowned upon; in fact, I think I even read somewhere here that if you feel the need to create a class with the word Manager in the name then you're design is wrong.

In the case of a state machine, to me anyway, it kind of makes sense to have a state manager class to handle all the different states and their initialization, queuing, cleanup, etc. Am I wrong in this, or would this be an appropriate place to have a manager?

Oh, and in my game I'm creating right now I've made an asset manager, or resource manager class that handles loading resources from a custom file format into memory and makes for easy retrieval of the needed resource via a simple function call and ID string; is this bad design as well?

Thanks

In addition to Serapth's answer:

If you're a beginner, then I would say do what you think is a good way to solve the problem. There's a difference between reading that you shouldn't do something and doing it to see where things go wrong so you can actually understand [i]why [/i]you shouldn't do it, and in what exceptional cases you [i]can [/i]use that solution.

out of curiosity how do you guys feel about manager classes in data oriented design rather than object oriented design? A better name might be calling it an interface with the data, but as interface already has a pretty well defined definition in most programming, you can't really call it that.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1319222727' post='4875116']
out of curiosity how do you guys feel about manager classes in data oriented design rather than object oriented design? A better name might be calling it an interface with the data, but as interface already has a pretty well defined definition in most programming, you can't really call it that.
[/quote]

If you work(ed) in corporate IT in n-tier solutions, this is very much the norm. The name is generally the DAL ( Data access layer ), which is essentially a thing abstraction above the application data. In a typical 3 tiered approach you have your view or presentation layer, your business logic layer ( BLL ) and your DAL. The DAL is an abstraction of the data, the view is your UI and then your BLL is your logic.

It actually applies fairly well to gaming too, especially if you want your tools and game to share the same code.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1319222727' post='4875116']out of curiosity how do you guys feel about manager classes in data oriented design rather than object oriented design?[/quote]There's actually a great example of this in most game engines ([i]even heavily OOD ones[/i]) -- particle systems.
Usually it's realised that treating every single particle ([i]when there may be millions of them[/i]) as an independent object isn't the best approach, and instead they're managed as a "system" of particles instead.

I'd still avoid calling it a 'manager' if you can, to properly define the responsibility of this 'grouping' class.

[font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"]Well since we are discussing uses for managers as in when they are good. How about a manager that loads, starts, shuts down, and unloads dynamic libraries containing separate systems (graphics, network, etc)?

My code (ignore the name as core does have meaning inside the design for the whole program. I have removed includes as they are irrelevant to the discussion of managers.
[code]
// Preprocessor selection based on OS
#ifdef _WIN32
#include <Windows.h>
typedef HMODULE DLLHANDLE;
#else
#include <dlfcn.h>
typedef void* DLLHANDLE;
#endif

class CoreManager {
public:
CoreManager(GlobalProperties* gprops, MessageDispatcher* msgdisp);

void Startup(std::string name = "");
void Shutdown(std::string name = "");
void Load(std::string name);
void Unload(std::string name = "");

void Update(double dt = 0.0f);
private:
GlobalProperties* gprops;
MessageDispatcher* msgdisp;

std::map<std::string, CoreInterface*> coremap; // A mapping of each core to its given name
std::map<std::string, DLLHANDLE> libraries; // A mapping of each loaded library to a given filename
};
[/code]
[code]

CoreManager::CoreManager( GlobalProperties* gprops, MessageDispatcher* msgdisp ) : gprops(gprops), msgdisp(msgdisp)
{

}

void CoreManager::Startup(std::string name /*= ""*/ )
{
if (name == "") {
// We need to use the regular for loop as we may modify the iterators if a core fails to start
for (auto it = this->coremap.begin(); it != this->coremap.end(); ++it) {
if (!(*it).second->Startup()) {
//EventLogger::printToFile( 5,"Core failed to start removing.", 'C'); // TODO: Fix eventlogger
(*it).second->Shutdown();
delete (*it).second;
this->coremap.erase(it++);
if (it == this->coremap.end()) {
break;
}
}
}
this->msgdisp->SetCores(&this->coremap);
} else {
if (this->coremap.find(name) != this->coremap.end()) {
this->coremap[name]->Startup();
}
}
}

void CoreManager::Shutdown( std::string name /*= ""*/ )
{
if (name == "") {
// We need to use the regular for loop as we may modify the iterators if a core fails to start
(*it).second->Shutdown();
delete (*it).second;
this->coremap.erase(it++);
}
} else {
if (this->coremap.find(name) != this->coremap.end()) {
this->coremap[name]->Shutdown();
delete this->coremap[name];
this->coremap.erase(name);
}
}
}

void CoreManager::Load( std::string name )
{
if (this->libraries.find(name) == this->libraries.end())
{
#ifdef _WIN32
wchar_t buf[256];
mbstowcs(buf, name.c_str(), name.length());
HMODULE libdll = LoadLibrary(buf);

this->libraries[name] = libdll;
#else
void * libdll = dlopen(fname.c_str(), RTLD_LAZY);
this->libraries[name] = libdll;
#endif
}

CoreFactory fact;
#ifdef _WIN32
fact = (CoreFactory)GetProcAddress(this->libraries[name], "CoreFactory");
#else
fact = (CoreFactory)dlsym(this->libraries[name], "CoreFactory");
#endif

CoreInterface* core = fact(this->gprops, this->msgdisp->GetCallback());
this->coremap[name] = core;
}

void CoreManager::Unload( std::string name /*= ""*/ )
{

bool ret = false;

if (this->libraries.find(name) != this->libraries.end())
{
Shutdown(name);
#ifdef _WIN32
if (FreeLibrary(this->libraries[name]) != 0)
{
ret = true;
}
#else
ret = dlclose(this->libraries[name]);
#endif
if (ret)
{
this->libraries.erase(this->libraries.find(name));
}
}
}

void CoreManager::Update( double dt /*= 0.0f*/ )
{
(*it).second->Update(dt);
}
}
[/code][/size][/font]

From what I understand (and I could be entirely incorrect on this understanding), managers themselves are not a bad thing, but it's when they are misused that code quality suffers.

Due to their global nature, managers should [i]only[/i] be used when a design calls for a class that can only have one existing instance without undefined behavior arising. Coming to such a conclusing is sometimes not as trivial as one might think. Often times, a designer may [i]think[/i] that a class should only exist once, while in reality, they are just over-looking a potential application for multiple instances. This is where managers get their bad name from.

The same argument can be applied to global variables in general.

[quote name='jonbonazza' timestamp='1319319923' post='4875449']...[/quote]You're thinking of singletons, not managers ([i]although in bad designs, it's common for managers to also be singletons[/i]).

[quote name='jonbonazza' timestamp='1319319923' post='4875449']
From what I understand (and I could be entirely incorrect on this understanding), managers themselves are not a bad thing, but it's when they are misused that code quality suffers.

Due to their global nature, managers should [i]only[/i] be used when a design calls for a class that can only have one existing instance without undefined behavior arising. Coming to such a conclusing is sometimes not as trivial as one might think. Often times, a designer may [i]think[/i] that a class should only exist once, while in reality, they are just over-looking a potential application for multiple instances. This is where managers get their bad name from.

The same argument can be applied to global variables in general.
[/quote]

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1319448569' post='4876252']
[quote name='jonbonazza' timestamp='1319319923' post='4875449']...[/quote]You're thinking of singletons, not managers ([i]although in bad designs, it's common for managers to also be singletons[/i]).
[/quote]
This. Managers don't have to be global, and they shouldn't be global. If you make your manager global it is probably the kind of manager that makes other "manager" classes look bad.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/86654/whats-wrong-with-singleton

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1319448569' post='4876252']
[/quote]

Then what exactly is a [i]Manager[/i]? I was under the impression that a manager was a global instance of a class that handles the functionality of a certain aspect of a software. For example, an AssetManager would handle the loading of assets, while a SceneManager would handle the transition of scenes, and so on.

[quote name='jonbonazza' timestamp='1319487933' post='4876457']
Then what exactly is a [i]Manager[/i]?
[/quote]

Something that detracts from your projects goals and make them harder to understand.

[quote]
Then what exactly is a Manager?
[/quote]
That is the problem with managers. They have no clear definition. They often end up as dumping grounds for unrelated functionality. This introduces complexity and coupling that would have been avoided if the class was given a clearer name.

[quote name='rip-off' timestamp='1319491015' post='4876482']
[quote]
[/quote]
That is the problem with managers. They have no clear definition. They often end up as dumping grounds for unrelated functionality. This introduces complexity and coupling that would have been avoided if the class was given a clearer name.
[/quote]

my particle system is technically a manager/factory, though I don't call it that. My manager cleary handles a set of particles. Just because it's called a manager doesn't make it complex. Let alone the name has nothing to do with coupling. Also what sounds more accurate to you Particle System" or "Particle Manager".... what exactly is your particle system doing? Managing particles... right?

Alot of your guys posts are quite wishy washy on this subject. Also my particle system is not a singleton, despite everyone here saying managers have to be singletons. I can create as many instances as ram and processing power will permit without an issue.

Particle systems are a well understood design. Programmers are less likely to add unrelated functionality to such a class. When I have implemented such classes, I have called them ParticleSystems, not a ParticleManagers. This terminology pre-dates my opinion on the nebulous "manager" phrase.

[quote name='freeworld' timestamp='1319492046' post='4876485']
[quote name='rip-off' timestamp='1319491015' post='4876482']
[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

my particle system is technically a manager/factory, though I don't call it that. My manager cleary handles a set of particles. Just because it's called a manager doesn't make it complex. Let alone the name has nothing to do with coupling. Also what sounds more accurate to you Particle System" or "Particle Manager".... what exactly is your particle system doing? Managing particles... right?

Alot of your guys posts are quite wishy washy on this subject. Also my particle system is not a singleton, despite everyone here saying managers have to be singletons. I can create as many instances as ram and processing power will permit without an issue.
[/quote]

Particle manager? lol

[quote name='jonbonazza' timestamp='1319487933' post='4876457']Then what exactly is a [i]Manager[/i]? I was under the impression that a manager was a global instance of a class that handles the functionality of a certain aspect of a software. For example, an AssetManager would handle the loading of assets, while a SceneManager would handle the transition of scenes, and so on.[/quote]There's absolutely no need to make your asset manager or scene manager into global variables.

A class that has a single global instance is a [url="http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SingletonPattern"]singleton[/url]. "Manager" is just a vague verb that's commonly used to describe classes that are collections of other objects ([i]e.g. an asset manager "manages" a collection of assets[/i]).
As has been said in the thread already, [url="http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?DontNameClassesObjectManagerHandlerOrData"]using vague verbs is discouraged[/url].

[quote name='jonbonazza' timestamp='1319487933' post='4876457']
Then what exactly is a [i]Manager[/i]? I was under the impression that a manager was a global instance of a class that handles the functionality of a certain aspect of a software. For example, an AssetManager would handle the loading of assets, while a SceneManager would handle the transition of scenes, and so on.
[/quote]
How about:
AssetBuilder builds assets.
AssetCollection is a collection of assets of type T.
AssetRegistry has collections of assets for varying types.

None of them need to be global. There is the additional benefit when you pass them around that the public interface for the caller is simpler.

Hmm, I find this thread quite interesting as I am making a class on my own which loads sprite textures.

My class has a std::vector<SpriteData>, where SpriteData is a struct with an "std::string name", "int NumberOfUsers" and "LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 Sprite".

The purpose of the class is to make sure I don't fill memory with duplicate textures. Anytime I want to load a Sprite Texture I call the function member "LoadTexture(name)". If it finds that it is already loaded by checking for existance in the vector it returns the loaded LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 which shares the same std::string name and it increments NumberOfUsers, otherwise it loades the file in to memory, adds the new SpriteData on the vector. And then returns the LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9.

Is this discouraged?

[quote name='Tispe' timestamp='1319544244' post='4876707']My class has a std::vector<Data>, where Data is a struct with an "std::string name", "int NumberOfUsers" and "T* resource".

The purpose of the class is to make sure I don't fill memory with duplicate resources. Anytime I want to load a resource I call the function member "Load(name)". If it finds that it is already loaded by checking for existance in the vector it returns the loaded T* which shares the same std::string name and it increments NumberOfUsers, otherwise it loades the file in to memory, adds the new Data on the vector. And then returns the T*.[/quote]^^I've edited your quote. If you changed your class to be a template class that stored [font="Courier New"]T*[/font]'s instead of [font="Courier New"]IDirect3DTexture9*[/font]'s, then it would be a reusable [i]reference-counted-resource-cache[/i], instead of being tightly coupled with a Direct3D-specific type.

[edit - added example] e.g. note that this only has [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_responsibility_principle"]one responsibility[/url] - caching pointers that are matched to names via reference counting. It's not an "all-in-one manager" that is also responsible for creating/destroying the resources, updating them, etc... which constrains it to a nicely manageable 40 lines of code.[source lang=cpp]template<class T, class Fn> class ResourceCache {
public:
ResourceCache( const Fn& loader ) : m_loader(loader) {}
T* Load( const std::string& name )
{
DataMap::iterator i = m_resources.find(name);
T* result;
if( i == m_resources.end() )
{
result = m_loader.Load(name);
Data data = { 1, result };
m_resources.insert( std::make_pair(name, data) );
}
else
{
i->second.count++;
result = i->second.data;
}
return result;
}
void Unload( T* data )
{
for( DataMap::iterator i = m_resources.begin(), end=m_resources.end(); i != end; ++i )
{
if( i->second.data == data )
{
if( --i->second.count == 0 )
{
m_loader.Unload( data );
m_resources.erase( i );
}
break;
}
}
}
private:
struct Data { int count; T* data; };
typedef std::map<std::string, Data> DataMap;
DataMap m_resources;
Fn m_loader;
};

struct IntLoader {
int* Load( const std::string& name ) {
return new int;
}
void Unload( int* p ) {
delete p;
}
};

void test()
{
IntLoader myLoader;
ResourceCache<int, IntLoader> intCache( myLoader );
int* res1 = intCache.Load("asdf");
int* res2 = intCache.Load("asdf");
intCache.Unload( res1 );
intCache.Unload( res2 );
}[/source]

Hodgman, what about something as heightmaps? Let's say I have HeightmapManager, which handles loading Heighmap when it becomes visible, unloading when it wasn't visible for awhile, rendering them, etc?