• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rumpfi88

ideal distance camera -> viewplane

This topic is 2614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For ray casting, ray tracing and rasterization you need a so called viewplane. My idea is to put the size of the viewplane according to pic-format (4:3, 16:9, 16:10...) along x- and y-axis, so that z is the distance between camera and viewplane. After calculating the lookat-matrix I Transform the 4 corners of the viewplane to the right position.

My question is: What do you think is the ideal distance between camera and viewplane?

Advertisement

For ray casting, ray tracing and rasterization you need a so called viewplane. My idea is to put the size of the viewplane according to pic-format (4:3, 16:9, 16:10...) along x- and y-axis, so that z is the distance between camera and viewplane. After calculating the lookat-matrix I Transform the 4 corners of the viewplane to the right position.

My question is: What do you think is the ideal distance between camera and viewplane?

Completely depends on the game-type and resolution of the z-buffer (maybe not such an issue these days)...

For example, if you have an FPS, having a low near-clip is desirable, but in a RTS maybe not so much.

In the old days (16 bit z-buffers etc), having a low near-clip would mean you lost visible precision in the distance, where-as a high near-clip gained you more precision in the distance.

Cheers, Paul.

If I am not mistaken, his question has nothing to do with the near plane. He is asking effectively what is a good field of view. This does depend on the game genre. But it should be easy enough to experiment with a few different settings and get a feel for what works.

For the start I would say ray tracing, even if it starts longer with O(width * height * max reflection and refraction). Rasterization needs the hell a lot of triangles and questions about z-buffers.

I also think to use double instead of float in C++ to avoid rounding errors.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!