• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Serapth

Code modelling software

This topic is 2609 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for a light weight code modelling application. I don't actually need anything fancy nor even language specific.

Basically all I want to do is make inheritance diagrams, with lines drawn between classes. I don't actually care about the class ( composition ) themselves, basically just their names and lines showing relationships.

Right now I use Visio, which is unwieldy and overkill when I am just "sketching" class designs. Otherwise I use OneNote, but it doesn't do relationships well. I've also tried using raster graphic apps, but it's unwiedly, especially if you want to quickly move things around.

At the very least, I want to create boxes or similar with text inside, with lines that connect to other boxes, but that can quickly be re-orged. Something like this has to exist, right? Otherwise I may have to write it myself.

Advertisement
Pretty much any UML software should work for you, just ignore the features you don't need.

Personally I like ArgoUML, easy to use, open source, multi platform, but very much work in progress so some features are a bit bugy. But for simple class modeling it works like a charm.

At the very least, I want to create boxes or similar with text inside, with lines that connect to other boxes, but that can quickly be re-orged. Something like this has to exist, right? Otherwise I may have to write it myself.

Sure, world could use FlowChart application #44985273.

Most accessible might be PowerPoint. It comes with "boxes and arrows", although dynamic layouts leave something to be desired.

Otherwise just google for flowcharting apps and pick a flavor. Online, offline, ....

I am looking for a light weight code modelling application. I don't actually need anything fancy nor even language specific.

A pencil (or whiteboard, if you want to get futuristic).

Check out NClass.

I have never used it on a real project due to its lack of ability drawing other type of diagrams (flowcharts, actors, databases, storage, etc.). But for modeling classes and their relationships, it seems to do it well and managed to keep it lightweight.

Check out NClass.

I have never used it on a real project due to its lack of ability drawing other type of diagrams (flowcharts, actors, databases, storage, etc.). But for modeling classes and their relationships, it seems to do it well and managed to keep it lightweight.

NIce, exactly what I was looking for.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!