whats the fastest way to bucket sort pointers?

Started by
11 comments, last by Hodgman 12 years, 6 months ago
i have shaders only 12 of them so far , they will be increasing and entitys,

every entity has a pointer to a shader

i want to bucket each entity into groups of shaders.

i used stl::maps but this seams slow , is there a faster way ?
Advertisement
You'll need to clarify, I can't understand what you're asking.

i have shaders only 12 of them so far , they will be increasing and entitys,

every entity has a pointer to a shader

i want to bucket each entity into groups of shaders.

i used stl::maps but this seams slow , is there a faster way ?

i ahve entitys , ie. models , and they all have shader pointers . this is so that they have a ppointer to the differnt shaders

i want to sort all the models into seperate vectors, for fast access. they need to be sorted vai the pointers of the shaders.

And std::map<shader*, std::vector<model*>> (using smart pointers where appropriate) is insufficient?

Is it too slow to populate, to iterate over, to search through?

And std::map<shader*, std::vector<model*>> (using smart pointers where appropriate) is insufficient?

tred that , was way too slow .

had to re configure my engine to use enums : got the speed now though
Did you profile your code to see what was slow? What exactly do you mean by "using enums"? How would it gain you speed?

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Just sort them all into the one vector. Your "buckets" are then different ranges within that vector.

[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1319137120' post='4874788']

[/quote]

enums aren't any smaller or easier to hash than pointers. If you're not using pointers and are copying your entire object every time... yeah, that's going to suck.

But since you won't actually tell us anything meaningful... best of luck with that.
maps can be slow if you don't know how to use them properly, and fast if you do. There are various tricks like making use of swap and const-references etc that you need to know to use them efficiently.

Without seeing your code, my experience tells me to assume that you used them poorly, because that assumption is most often correct.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

[quote name='thedodgeruk' timestamp='1319155020' post='4874858']
[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1319137120' post='4874788']

[/quote]

enums aren't any smaller or easier to hash than pointers. If you're not using pointers and are copying your entire object every time... yeah, that's going to suck.

But since you won't actually tell us anything meaningful... best of luck with that.
[/quote]

erm , need to sort my entitys so that i have less state changes on the GPU , so need to bucket sort all my enttiys via the shader pointer , so when done i have one bucket for all entitys that have shader plaincolour, other plainTexture , other phong , other normalmapping ect

and did an analize and it was saying with map, it was saying the slowest thing in my engine was itterating through the map , once i collected all my info into the buckets

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement