• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tispe

[DX9] Drawing faces

This topic is 2608 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello

When a vertex buffer is drawn basically a bunch of triangles gets texturezied and put on the backbuffer. Are these triangles "connected" in anyway when drawing? Can there be a small crack between two triangles if two vertecies share the same position?

I ask because it seems to me that during animation some triangles are streched and some aren't. I am worried this may create cracks in the mesh.

Advertisement
That depends on what kind of triangle data you have, whether your have indices or not and what kind of primitive type you're drawing.
[source]D3DPT_TRIANGLELIST
Renders the specified vertices as a sequence of isolated triangles. Each group of three vertices defines a separate triangle.
Back-face culling is affected by the current winding-order render state.
D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP
Renders the vertices as a triangle strip. The backface-culling flag is automatically flipped on even-numbered triangles.
D3DPT_TRIANGLEFAN
Renders the vertices as a triangle fan.[/source]
If you draw a a triangle list and you're not using vertex indices it could be possible for gaps to appear, but that depends on how it's animated. In all other cases you should be fine. If you don't see any gaps now, I doubt you have to worry.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!