assets for doom engine project

Started by
3 comments, last by greentiger 12 years, 5 months ago
I'm not exactly sure which forum this post belongs to so bear with me.

I've got a project in the works using an id tech 1 engine (ie, a doom port). My programmer friend is currently focused on another project but we're going to get to this project soon-ish. my problem is I'm looking for royalty free graphics to use for enemies. I don't necessarily plan on making the game commercial but I feel odd about blatantly ripping art from commercial projects.

My basic question is this: is there any free use wads I can use, or archives of older material that can be used? Or any one want to volunteer their art? I figure I will be using the skulltag method of frames (draw art for the front, back, and sides and skip the quarter views).

Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
My question is why did you decide to use such an outdated and limited graphics engine?

My question is why did you decide to use such an outdated and limited graphics engine?

Well we decided to use sprites for enemies basically due to the resources we had immediately available (and partly because of nostalgia).

We are currently debating if what we want to accomplish in the SP/Co-op part of the game is doable by our team in the Quake II engine.

However, unless we can find free use MD2s or equivalents we're still going to go with sprites.
Well if you decide to keep going with the Doom engine, I will tell you now that the sprites are very easy to make. I'm sure the original mod tools are still floating around somewhere to create your own sprites.

The sprites themselves are just gif images with a transparent background. They can be made from just about anything. You could even get yourself a textured, royalty free 3d model. Pose it, take screen grabs of it, and turn those screen grabs into your sprites. This is how the sprites for Fallout 1 and 2 were made.

The same type of sprites were used on everything from Doom to Duke Nukem 3d to Shadow Warrior to Blood.

But that doesn't really help your search. That's all I've got.

Thanks. Hopefully people will reply with links to sprite/model tools that will help with the process.

I bought some plasticine with the idea that maybe I'll get some free time and make my own Doom analogies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement