• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
chintans

From where to start

This topic is 2612 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys,i am going to develop a small game in java.I am a bit confused and need your help.
Can anyone please tell me which game should i develop?That game should teach me all the basic concepts and challenges faced by a game developer.
what should i use like applets,java swing etc?i also want to use opengl.

Thank you to all in advance

Advertisement
A single game that pits you against all of the concepts and challenges faced by a programmer?
Crysis 4. Go.

Seriously you are getting ahead of yourself.
Focus on learning the basics of what challenges you will experience as a programmer and move on from there.
Most people tend to do a Tetris clone at the start.
You could also do Pac-Man, Asteroids, any number of the early arcade games.

Trying to cram in too much at a time is only doing yourself a disservice.

L. Spiro

Pacman is a tough challenge for any beginner. But it would teach you all about:

1. 2D graphics.
2. Moving, animating sprites and sprite collision detection.
3. Game loops.
4. User interaction/input control.
5. Level building or creating.
6. Simple Pathfinding for AI (ghosts).
7. Game logic and game states (e.g. when you've eaten a power pill you can eat ghosts instead of ghosts killing you).

Enough to get you started with.

Pacman is a tough challenge for any beginner. But it would teach you all about:

1. 2D graphics.
2. Moving, animating sprites and sprite collision detection.
3. Game loops.
4. User interaction/input control.
5. Level building or creating.
6. Simple Pathfinding for AI (ghosts).
7. Game logic and game states (e.g. when you've eaten a power pill you can eat ghosts instead of ghosts killing you).

Enough to get you started with.

where can this be found?

and smaller games. (tic tack toe)

This.

The feeling of achievement you'll get from finishing something will help you keep learning. Getting bogged down on something impossible, won't. And you can expand tic-tac-toe as much as you like - start out with 2 players taking turns with the mouse, then add singleplayer AI, then maybe multiplayer, internet, blah blah blah. You can learn a lot from something very simple.

where can this be found? [/quote]

I don't know if there is a full tutorial like that. But even if there is, you will benefit most from solving this yourself - such is programming , however: you have to be able to break a problem down into it's elements and find a solution. Start with working on graphics - when that is done, move on to moving... and so on. Don't be afraid to ask for help but expect a cycle of trail and error too.

Of course, if your (programming) fundamentals are inadequate, then focus on those first. Like any field, missing out on the basics early on what hinder and frustrate you immensely later on.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!