• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
nickme

why dxdiag.exe said dx 11 but only dx 10 program run?

This topic is 2605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi,
i recently started to run several tutorials on the web with directx11 and directx10 programs. i downloaded the rastertek directx11 tutorials. it compile and run but terminated because it could not initialize direct3d. apparently, they were directx11 programs but when i downloaded directx10 tutorials it run just fine. the thing is that when i run dxdiag.exe, it said the directx version is directx 11. why is that? i hope someone can help explain it to me.

thanks

Advertisement
DirectX version numbers can seem misleading. Just having a particular version of DirectX installed is not enough to run something; your hardware must also be capable of running it. So if you have hardware that's not capable of running something, it just won't run. In the case of DirectX 11 it's also capable of supporting downlevel hardware, but - once again - if the downlevel hardware does not support a particular feature, it won't run.

I took a quick look at the tutorial, and it sets the feature level to D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_0 and doesn't fall back from there to 10_1 or 10_0. You can probably get most of the tutorials working on your card by changing that. You just won't be able to use D3D11 features like hardware tessellation.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!