Visual Studio 11 install broke DX11 debug dlls

Started by
3 comments, last by Hyunkel 12 years, 5 months ago
Today I installed the developer preview of Visual Studio 11 on my Windows 7 64 system.
Installation went well, but I quickly noticed that I couldn't get any dx application to run in debug mode. (release works fine)

At first everything seemed to crash on input layout creation.
I found this thread: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/610863-inputlayout-problem-dx11-after-visual-studio-11-preview-installation/
but noticed that my error was a different one.

I didn't want to bother with it any further and went back to vs2010, but unfortunately it now had the same problem.
I wanted to get this working asap, so I re-installed the dx sdk (june 2010) again, and also ran the redist installer, hoping it would turn all my .dlls back to normal.
Unfortunately now, whenever I try to create a swapchain with DeviceCreationFlags.Debug, the program crashes.
The HRESULT is never written, it just says:

Direct3D11Exception was unhandled
E_FAIL: An undetermined error occurred (-2147467259)

Any suggestions how I can fix this mess?
I'm thinking I could copy the directx debug dll's from another pc (from system32 and syswow64) to my computer.
Or is there another way to force a complete reinstall of directx?

Cheers,
Hyu
Advertisement
Even though the error is different perhaps the solution is the same, i.e. copy the old dlls to the folder of .exe files in your project.
After re-installing vs11 and putting the dx june 2010 sdk d3d11sdklayers.dll into all of my project bin folders, the problem does seem to have been fixed.
However I was looking for a more permanent solution that would allow me to get my system into the state it was in prior to installing vs11.
This is going to suck, but there is a reason why MS advise not installing preview/beta software on production systems. I think your best bet right now is a system restore point.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Yeah, that probably wasn't the brightest idea, but after reading about the new gamedev related features my curiosity took over.

I guess I'll just keep it the way it is right now.
I'll probably get vs11 at release anyways, and I assume these problems will have been ironed out until then.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement