• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Danicco

3D Model files loading

This topic is 2592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

I'm coding a class that reads a 3DS Max file (using .ASE currently) and displays the model/animations with OpenGL, but I got stuck at the animation part.
The ASE file has all the vertex and face information I need, but when I exported an animation (10 frames) I noticed it only has 3 vertexes info on 3 different times, presumably the first frame, last frame and remaining (the animation has 10 frames on a 20 frames total).

What I thought I'd do is to divide the distance of the vertexes between the first and last frame for the total frames in the animation, but that wouldn't work because the vertexes would all move and finish their animation at the same time, which isn't exactly what I animated.

I've been looking for information that could complement what I need, but couldn't find.
I'm thinking that either I don't know how to properly export (I kinda checked all the stuff I could) or the .ASE format isn't suited for mesh animations.

Would anyone know how to get the animation from the .ASE, if it's possible or if I should try another format (I noticed the .OBJ ASCII is easily readable as well)?

Advertisement
I've not used the ASE format, but from a quick look here and there it doesn't seem to be an inherently animation-supporting format? Or maybe there's another file format reference I'm missing.... From the couple of places (1, 2) I looked it seems intended for static meshes (though I'm guessing there's more to the story).

Writing an .obj reader is easy (I coded one up last night in about an hour) but it also doesn't natively support animation.

I'm interested in the topic because I have to start importing animated meshes soon too. So far I'm leaning towards .x and collada (.dae) as they both seem (almost) straightforward to support.

I just made a post about FBX in another thread here: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/613706-model-loading/page__view__findpost__p__4880740
On that page you'll find a link to the autodesk FBX forum and explanation on how I use FBX in my game engine.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!