• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Schinizer

Fixing texture seams without GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE extension

This topic is 2516 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working with a graphics API that only support REPEAT and CLAMP modes for texturing. I get those ugly seams that are caused by filtering. Any idea how to fix the seams without using a CLAMP_TO_EDGE extension?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Create a border on the texture with the edge pixels repeated. If you also use mip-mapping it's a bit of a waste if you need many mip-levels.. perhaps you can do it in a shader, if you're using them?

By ugly seams, do you mean a tear effect or the edges looking dirty?

EDIT:-

For now I'll assume dirty edges, if you want to do this without the extension you'll need to pinch your UVs in by half a normalized texel width/height, because the texel centre is 0.5, and of course 1.0 is 0.0, if that makes any sense.

Using 0-1 for uv's and if you have a primitive moving slowing sub pixel level you'll find the top and left will appear to have a cropping artefact and bottom and right will appear to have a pulsating halo artefact.

Hope this makes sense and I hope I've not misinformed.

By ugly seams, do you mean a tear effect or the edges looking dirty?

EDIT:-

For now I'll assume dirty edges, if you want to do this without the extension you'll need to pinch your UVs in by half a normalized texel width/height, because the texel centre is 0.5, and of course 1.0 is 0.0, if that makes any sense.

Using 0-1 for uv's and if you have a primitive moving slowing sub pixel level you'll find the top and left will appear to have a cropping artefact and bottom and right will appear to have a pulsating halo artefact.

Hope this makes sense and I hope I've not misinformed.

I'm having that weird effect when moving a camera around.
How do I move it half a normalized texel? I have something like

float p1 = sprite_origin.X/texture_width;
float p2 = sprite_origin.Y/texture_height;
float p3 = sprite_origin.Right()/texture_width;
float p4 = sprite_origin.Bottom()/texture_height;

I'm assuming it's not just adding 0.5f right?

I had the same trouble once, I have a 3D plaza on my blog and you can see the edges on the sky box, i used to use texture coordinates to not display the edges for example use 0.03 instead of 0 and to use 0.92 instead of 1, but i remember you coul still see where joined the both textures. When i used gl_clamp_to_edge the problem was solved but i had another issue that i can remember right now,
I will be watching this post to see the correct answer
by the way this is the project
http://vasilydev.blogspot.com/2011/08/3d-square-with-opengl-and-c.html

sorry not been around for a while so missed this post.

given your uv's are 0 -> 1 and your texture is 64x32 then uadj = 0.5 / 64 vadj = 0.5 / 32

then assuming a clockwise order.

u(0) += uadj v(0) += vadj // top left
u(1) -= uadj v(1) += vadj // top right
u(2) -= uadj v(2) -= vadj // bottom right
u(3) += uadj v(3) -= vadj // bottom left

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!