Global variable?

Started by
9 comments, last by Serapth 12 years, 5 months ago
What signifies or usually causes you tocreate a global variable in a program?
Advertisement
bad code

bad code

While I agree, in principle (and it is easy to be theoritical)...

In actual coding practice however, there are many situations where the most elegant and readable solution is probably using a global variable or object. Sometimes having to pass around a lot of data in functions belonging to different classes it just makes more sense to store certain program-wide information not belonging to any particular class (such situations do arise!) in globals.

They should be minimized, but they exist for a purpose and that purpose may arise in some situations. Not saying it is recommended as a general practice. But it has its uses.
I'll define globals as constants, helper methods, state for the occasional helper method, and rarely some sane default for when I don't specify something in a given module. Configuration info can sometimes fall here.

Just like any other structure, I'll use them when it makes my code better. When even accounting for the coupling, debug-ability, maintainability, and concurrency problems caused by globals don't apply enough to make up for the benefits of simplicity and ubiquity.
I am afraid that I must agree with Hodgman.

However that is concerning the strictest definition of a global. A global, as just a global, simply will never exist in my code.

However static class members and static local variables are globals in the end, and I use them for:
#1: Data/look-up tables.
-> View the CFrustum::GetNeighbors() function.
#2: Initializers for default values.
#3: Counters for “object’s unique ID”. That is, every texture will have a unique ID, and of course that means a static class member (private or protected) that counts up once each time a CTextureBase is instanciated.
#4: The default memory manager instance. Every memory manager is an instance. The default one to which overloaded new/delete redirect just happens to be a static class member.

A global that is just a global, sitting in the middle of nowhere with free access by anything that includes the file?
Bad design. Static class members may be globals to the compiler, but they have access rights. I don’t want other classes to be able to change my CTextureBase unique ID counter, and I don’t want to hide the unique ID counter in the .CPP file.
#1: What if my constructor is inlined into the header file?
#2: And frankly I simply refuse to declare some variables in the header and some in the .CPP. I want my class variables to be declared in one specific location. It just makes sense.

There is no situation in which a static class member is less elegant/organized than a standard global.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

While I agree, in principle (and it is easy to be theoritical)...

In actual coding practice however, there are many situations where the most elegant and readable solution is probably using a global variable or object. Sometimes having to pass around a lot of data in functions belonging to different classes it just makes more sense to store certain program-wide information not belonging to any particular class (such situations do arise!) in globals.

I disagree with your second paragraph. There are situations where using a global variable/object is more elegant and readable than your current solutions, but I really can't think of any scenario where it is THE MOST elegant solution. It will almost always be more readable, but that comes at a huge cost of completely random behavior, which is far far worse than readability problems. If you look deeper there will almost always be a better solution to the problem.

I'm going to link this because the problems are pretty much the same (singletons vs globals) and I posted it this morning:
http://www.gamedev.n...ost__p__4876295

edit: although I do believe sometimes in practice globals can be a much faster solution, which might fit your particular needs at the moment and that in some code bases they make sense, but that is usually because those code bases are usually pretty terrible to begin with.

but that comes at a huge cost of completely random behavior, which is far far worse than readability problems.

By 'completely random behavior', I'm guessing you mean static initialization issues in C++?

Even in that environment, you only run into issues if you depend on order of static initialization (which is dicey at best). I don't want to be the global variable advocate; they have many downsides, but randomness isn't something inherent to their nature.
I think you need to be careful in your definition. A global mutable variable is much worse than a global const or enum.

I agree with vharishankar, in some cases, if a class or interface is required globally and it is truly a globally required variable, it makes sense for it to be global. In this case however, you generally will surround it in an access layer of some sort. That said, if I was working on a calendaring application and I needed for some reason to define a days of the week enum, I would have no issues with making this a globally available define. Additionally if I had a const property that needed to be accessed throughout the code, I would have no issue with making this globally available either. Neither scenario runs into the majority of the pitfalls associated with global variable usage.

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1319476174' post='4876359']
but that comes at a huge cost of completely random behavior, which is far far worse than readability problems.

By 'completely random behavior', I'm guessing you mean static initialization issues in C++?

Even in that environment, you only run into issues if you depend on order of static initialization (which is dicey at best). I don't want to be the global variable advocate; they have many downsides, but randomness isn't something inherent to their nature.
[/quote]

I previously poo-pooed on C++ for this "undefined behavior" when it comes to static initialization order... until I looked up C#'s details and saw it documented as "implementation specific".

unsure.gif

I mean more to do with problems related to having global alterable state usually due to concurrency.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement