• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EternityZA

Subsurf

This topic is 2611 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi.

I downloaded a detailed character model that was created in blender and i want to use it in one of my games. The model has a subsurf modifier that subdivides its faces twice and It also has alot of morphs for facial expressions.

I need to get the model exported into my game engines format but im not sure whats best. Should i bake the subsurf modifier into the mesh before exporting or should I calculate the subsurfices in my engine as i load the model?

Also blender wont allow me to bake the subsurf modifier. It says it cannot bake the subsurf modifier into the mesh becuase the mesh has morphs. But why cant it just apply the modifier to the base mesh and all the morphs? I dont quite understand this.

Any pointers appreciated! Thnx in Advance!

Advertisement

Hi.

I downloaded a detailed character model that was created in blender and i want to use it in one of my games. The model has a subsurf modifier that subdivides its faces twice and It also has alot of morphs for facial expressions.

I need to get the model exported into my game engines format but im not sure whats best. Should i bake the subsurf modifier into the mesh before exporting or should I calculate the subsurfices in my engine as i load the model?

Also blender wont allow me to bake the subsurf modifier. It says it cannot bake the subsurf modifier into the mesh becuase the mesh has morphs. But why cant it just apply the modifier to the base mesh and all the morphs? I dont quite understand this.

Any pointers appreciated! Thnx in Advance!

Just guessing, but it could have to do with the order of mods applied. try swapping the order that the modifiers are applied.

I deleted all other modifiers but i stil could not bake the subsurf modifier into the mesh. And im stil not sure if i should even be doing this. Does professional game engines apply subsurf to models as they are loaded?

I finaly managed to apply the subsurf modifier to the mesh and all its morph targets by writing my own script. Im stil not sure if im supposed to let my engine do it instead but this is fine for now.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!