• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AGPX

Shadow ray issue

This topic is 6234 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have a problem with my shadow rays. When my ray-tracer found an intersection (primary ray) then I shoot shadow ray from intersection point to the light source. To avoid self-shadowing of the intersected triangle I skip that triangle during "shadow traversal". This work. The problem is that some other very near triangle can shadow the intersected point. I can fix this problem pushing out a bit my shadow ray origin along the triangle normal. But how much I must push it? A certain constant work well for a scene but is bad for another (depend on scale of scene). How I can compute the optimal amount? Or there are other methods to avoid this problem? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
flag the polygon that you hit. when you check for polygons
opn your way to the light. skip the marked polygon.

Anon, AGPX said he is doing that.

AGPX: Your solution of using a theta value for this kind of error tolerance, AFAIK, is the standard solution. As for "how far do I push it out," trial-and-error is probably the only solution.

If anyone has a better solution, I'm sure thry'll post it, though.

Edited by - TerranFury on September 27, 2001 1:06:16 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!