• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Justindano

Breakout clone

This topic is 2606 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys,
I have been thinking of making my own Breakout clone and i am having some trouble with it.
I have already got the paddle and ball bouncing off it inside the screen, The problem is how do i add the boxes i.e the walls, Which is the best method to to set walls. I have been trying all ways but could someone help me which is the suitable method for setting walls.
Thanks in advance!
EDIT: I am using C++ with SDL if you might want to know

Advertisement
If you already have a working paddle, just add a new type of "thing" which acts like a paddle but doesn't move. When the ball hits it, it goes away, and the ball bounces just like before.

Poof, you have your obstacles :-)

If you already have a working paddle, just add a new type of "thing" which acts like a paddle but doesn't move. When the ball hits it, it goes away, and the ball bounces just like before.

Poof, you have your obstacles :-)

I can do it, My problem is i cant keep drawing the same images many times, I would be wasting my memory.
Any ideas?

Oh well, Thanks guys!
I thought there was any other method, Thanks for letting me know.
I'll let you know when my game is finished

EDIT:
Thanks for your help guys, I finally finished the game, It's kinda lame but yeah, I'm still learning.
@ ApochPiQ Guess what, lol, My total game file lasted only 5.7 MB even though i drew the images like 25 times.
It was cool spending time on that game which sure bought some pleasure that it was made by me, haha.
Anyways, The code is poorly structured and almost everything is on the main function. It's too awkward to release it, maybe i'll refix it and post it sometime.
Here are the screenshots [ Lame Game ]:

20h1sah.jpg

t8anfq.jpg

Thats all guys. I'll see if i can post the Game folder, so you can play this stupid game i guess.
Thanks for your help.
Peace :)

hey now, no need to call it lame! lol. A lot of us started game development with classic games such as breakout and even when the code turns out not to be the most elegant, it's always a great learning experience to make the next game even better.

hey now, no need to call it lame! lol. A lot of us started game development with classic games such as breakout and even when the code turns out not to be the most elegant, it's always a great learning experience to make the next game even better.

Gee, Thanks for the support, i just wanted to flex my muscles and i was sure that i'd clone a breakout that day and yeah, i stood up on my promise :).
It was great time coding it, Any ideas on my next project?
Ive already done, Tic Tac Toe, Arrow ride << a new type of game, Pong clone and a Breakout clone.
Thanks!

hmm maybe try going up a notch. You have done some basic collision detection now, so maybe try to do something like the classic space shooter Galaga. You don't have to start it off to be as nice as Galaga, but you could just make enemies fall from the top of the screen, make a player ship and give the player the ability to shoot and destroy the enemy ships. This was one of my starter projects, I started off with it pretty simple and over time added in power-ups, enemy ship AI, different types of enemies, particles and so on. Its a great starter project that you can build up as you go along and learn new things.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!