• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BenS1

Is Double precision optional for Shader Model 5?

This topic is 2602 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can I rely on all Shader Model 5 compatible GPUs (Current and future, including low end like Ivy Bridge) supporting Double precision?

I know SM5 supports it, but I'm not sure if its a requirement or if its optional?

Thanks
Ben

Advertisement
It's optional in feature level 11, you can check for it at runtime with ID3D11Device::CheckFeatureSupport. I don't know about the really low-end GPU's, but I would doubt that they support. I know AMD only supports it on their high-end range of GPU's.

Though DX11 is the equivalent of OpenGL 4.x functionality and OpenGL 4.0 has GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 core functionality. Which means that any card that supports OpenGL 4.0 or later (and thus DX11) actually has no other choice but to support double precision floats (possibly not at full speed, but it must support them).

Hmmm, thanks.

So its technically optional but in reality most DX11 cards will support it.

Ok, I think that given that my project is likely to be years from completion I can probably assume that all cards will by then support it (Hopefully).

Thanks
Ben

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!