Hierarchical Temporal Memory Light Cycle Algorithm

Started by
20 comments, last by Teddybot 11 years, 11 months ago
There was a Google AI contest about this. This is a great read about the winning entry. I would start there. This is probably overkill for beating humans, so you can dumb it down to make it fun.
Advertisement
Everything in the last two posts has been extremely considered and gone over for years before making this thread.

Thank you for your replies,
Teddybot
-=Stylin/Teddybot=-www.teddybot.comwww.aiapplets.comwww.aidictionary.comwww.aifiles.com
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jeff+hawkins&oq=jeff+hawkins&aq=f&aqi=g5&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1200l3123l0l3866l12l11l0l3l3l1l220l1304l0.6.2l8l0
default.jpg
Jeff Hawkins

Derivatives of this technology will be the foundation for tomorrows software.
The first person or group to sucessfully apply HTM technology to gaming will recorded in history.
-=Stylin/Teddybot=-www.teddybot.comwww.aiapplets.comwww.aidictionary.comwww.aifiles.com
What's the point of this thread? Are you just telling us how excited you are about Numenta's technology?

If you want to have good AI for a light cycle game, concentrate on making AI for a light cycle game, and don't think that a generic solution based on not-quite-ready technology is going to give you good results.

I did see a Numenta presentation video 4 years ago and, although I have some sympathy for the people that want to understand what the neocortex is doing, I don't think they have delivered anything of substance. They mostly have managed to resurrect the excitement that ANNs generated decades ago. I don't see anything to be too excited about.
The core of the technology is required to accomplish proper AI for a light cycle game.
It is possible to add fundamentals to the technology and create a box for specific solutions.

The core of the technology is required to accomplish proper AI for a light cycle game.

That's an unsubstantiated claim. You seem to be so excited about this technology that you can't possibly imagine a different solution, even when faced with the fact that a recent Google AI contest was won by programs that did not use the technology, even though it was available.

Aaaaannndd.... you're wrong.

mellow.png

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

I appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
Teddybot
TeddyBot: I read the PDF on Numentas site. I'm still not sure what it's supposed to do. Unless I missed something, the video linked in their site doesn't include a demonstration if the technology in action.

What's the advantage of a HTM over other methods? What sorts of problems can it solve that traditional ML technologies struggle with?

Would you consider IBMs Watson a "proper" AI? How about the AI that drives many virtual pets? Or the AI that detects spam before it gets delivered to your inbox? The AI that detects credit fraud? What makes these things less proper than the AI you envision?
Are you talking about 'situational factoring' where you analyze 'game' results and try to figure out which factors can be used to define the situation and then correlate that situation with the action and results (themselves subject to factoring) so that you can predict outcomes and try to carry out 'correct' actions on future situations to have a favorable outcome ???

Such 'factoring' is part of the 'cognitive' area of AI (I recall reading about it 25 years ago).

Static system situations are usually fairly easy to solve, but the problem becomes MUCH more difficult when you have a dynamic system with temporal effects (when you have to figure out which factors from the past in a sequence of actions were the cause of the results).

Of course as usual any gathered information where uncertainty (missing info) is involved adds at least a magnitude more difficulty to solving.
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement