• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
elmepo

Question about Java

This topic is 2605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm Hopefully going to be going into University Next year, doing a Bachelor Of I.T. One of the Majors for the subject is Software Development, Which I plan on doing, However, As I am able to choose from the different majors what subjects I want to learn (E.G. I could Major in Software, but Could Still do say, a part from the sys admin course instead of a section from the software major) Now, the Software Major has two courses to do with Java, Programming with Java 1 & 2. Now, I'm curious as to if I should attend these courses, or switch them with another subject, Because I already know 3 Languages (C++, Visual Basic, and C#, although That might as well be C++) So, would Java be a recommended Subject, especially for someone who is looking to get into game development?

Advertisement

Hey, I'm Hopefully going to be going into University Next year, doing a Bachelor Of I.T. One of the Majors for the subject is Software Development, Which I plan on doing, However, As I am able to choose from the different majors what subjects I want to learn (E.G. I could Major in Software, but Could Still do say, a part from the sys admin course instead of a section from the software major) Now, the Software Major has two courses to do with Java, Programming with Java 1 & 2. Now, I'm curious as to if I should attend these courses, or switch them with another subject, Because I already know 3 Languages (C++, Visual Basic, and C#, although That might as well be C++) So, would Java be a recommended Subject, especially for someone who is looking to get into game development?

If you want to get into game development, I'm not sure why you're getting a Bachelor's in I.T., and not C.S., unless all they have is a Software Development track of an I.T. major, in which case I'd personally avoid the school altogether. Also, it's hard to give recommendations about courses unless you tell us what school (and therefore what courses) you're actually talking about. Generally speaking, another option is to skip Programming 1 and take Programming 2. Looking at your previous posts in June, I'd say at that time you could certainly benefit from Programming 2 (or at least the version of that class I once had) but it really depends how fast the courses go and what they cover. But by the time a year rolls around, this might not be the case. The benefit won't be in learning Java, since you won't learn more than what would take a day or two to pick up for an experienced programmer, it will be in getting better at programming, since you are (or were, and possibly will be) kind of green. Ultimately the proper recommendation also depends on the courses that are available after Programming 1 & 2.

1, If you already knew C++, Java is not important for you. If you have to use Java in the future, learning it should be a piece of cake.
There are a lot of things more important than languages IMHO, such as OO-design and algorithm .

2, Regarding the major issue, my major was finance and economics, but after graduated my job has been always software and game development...

1, If you already knew C++, Java is not important for you. If you have to use Java in the future, learning it should be a piece of cake.
There are a lot of things more important than languages IMHO, such as OO-design and algorithm .

Seconded (from a developer's point of view).

If you want to get into game development, I'm not sure why you're getting a Bachelor's in I.T., and not C.S., unless all they have is a Software Development track of an I.T. major, in which case I'd personally avoid the school altogether. Also, it's hard to give recommendations about courses unless you tell us what school (and therefore what courses) you're actually talking about. Generally speaking, another option is to skip Programming 1 and take Programming 2. Looking at your previous posts in June, I'd say at that time you could certainly benefit from Programming 2 (or at least the version of that class I once had) but it really depends how fast the courses go and what they cover. But by the time a year rolls around, this might not be the case. The benefit won't be in learning Java, since you won't learn more than what would take a day or two to pick up for an experienced programmer, it will be in getting better at programming, since you are (or were, and possibly will be) kind of green. Ultimately the proper recommendation also depends on the courses that are available after Programming 1 & 2.

I'm doing the bachelor of I.T. Because their Computer science course, on memory, had no software major in it, I also asked the course coordinator, and he advised me that BIT would be best, as it had the major in Software dev, so I'm guessing that the CS course either has no software major, or that it's not designed towards actually entering the field after graduation. The School I'm hoping to enter is Charles Sturt University, Aus, Wagga Wagga. It's no actually my preferred university, Id Actually prefer to go to either a full on software/game university, as they'd hopefully be focused and geared more on game dev, or alternatively, the Bathurst Campus, As they have a 3 year course, after which I'd get a year minimum of paid work with Sony (It's some deal they have) However they unfortunately don't offer the course here in Wagga, or by Distance, and I can't afford to really live away from home.

The other parts of the software major are Object Modelling Applications, User Interface Design and Evaluation, Windows Application Development, Software Engineering, A Software Dev Project, and Data Structures. I was thinking of doing both courses, even if, as you said, it would aid with the theory, even If I never again use Java. However I have no idea on what Programming 1&2 contain, I have no prior knowledge on Java, so I might need Java 1 in order to understand even the basics of Java 2.

2, Regarding the major issue, my major was finance and economics, but after graduated my job has been always software and game development...

This was the main reason I was asking, Considering As I Learnt in Software Design Development, in High School, Learning another language isn't really hard, Considering that the software theory like data types and variable naming standards will stay the same.

Also, How'd you pull off economics into Game dev, that sounds pretty impressive.

If the school is decent then the language itself will be a very minor part of those courses, Look at whats actually covered before making a choice. (At my university the "Java courses" didn't really cover the language itself but rather concepts such as reflection, datadriven applications, oop, etc)

Also, How'd you pull off economics into Game dev, that sounds pretty impressive.

Love.

What to learn is not important, what you love is important, IMO.
Love is the motivation to drive you to dedicate to one profession.

I'm doing the bachelor of I.T. Because their Computer science course, on memory, had no software major in it, I also asked the course coordinator, and he advised me that BIT would be best, as it had the major in Software dev, so I'm guessing that the CS course either has no software major, or that it's not designed towards actually entering the field after graduation. The School I'm hoping to enter is Charles Sturt University, Aus, Wagga Wagga. It's no actually my preferred university, Id Actually prefer to go to either a full on software/game university, as they'd hopefully be focused and geared more on game dev, or alternatively, the Bathurst Campus, As they have a 3 year course, after which I'd get a year minimum of paid work with Sony (It's some deal they have) However they unfortunately don't offer the course here in Wagga, or by Distance, and I can't afford to really live away from home.

Charles Sturt University has a delightfully well-organized website!

The adviser is wrong or your memory of him/her is wrong. The CS course at Bathurst is much much much better than the Software Design & Development major available in Wagga Wagga. You can do the CS program at Bathurst via distance learning too. As far as I can tell it's only the 4 year "Bachelor of Computer Science (Games Technology)" program that's listed as "on campus", which is simply a superset of the 3 year CS program. Take a look at http://www.csu.edu.a...ourse-structure . It says right there that distance education is an option. Also you can see there are lots of important courses that aren't part of Wagga Wagga's IT program, like Computer Organization, Operating Systems, Discrete Math, Computer Graphics, Linear Algebra, etc etc etc. Look at that page I linked to. You can choose one of two specializations, and both of them are great.

I'd definitely recommend going for the CS course at Bathurst over whatever's at Wagga Wagga, going by what's on their website. There is also something to be said for attending in person. One of the main benefits of going to a University is the like-minded people you meet. You won't get that by a distance education. If you do CS at Bathurst, is that worth three years' rent + food? If you do distance learning, would you end up missing on-campus job fairs, or connections with people who work at such-and-such company after graduating? $8.5k (on-campus cost) is much less than the variance in software developers get after graduating, so it seems easy to rationalize this expenditure. Especially when you're getting a degree in a field that is largely untouched by the recession and involves developing actual skills that people are willing to pay a lot of money for.

So, to summarize:

1. If you want to study software development, game development, or whatnot, you should definitely do the CS program at Bathurst, not the IT software major at Wagga Wagga, if your uni of choice is CSU. The stuff at Wagga Wagga is practically a not an education.
2. You can do it by distance learning or on campus, and I think you'd be much better off living on campus even if you had to take a loan.

[quote name='elmepo' timestamp='1319629328' post='4877142']

Charles Sturt University has a delightfully well-organized website!

The adviser is wrong or your memory of him/her is wrong. The CS course at Bathurst is much much much better than the Software Design & Development major available in Wagga Wagga. You can do the CS program at Bathurst via distance learning too. As far as I can tell it's only the 4 year "Bachelor of Computer Science (Games Technology)" program that's listed as "on campus", which is simply a superset of the 3 year CS program. Take a look at http://www.csu.edu.a...ourse-structure . It says right there that distance education is an option. Also you can see there are lots of important courses that aren't part of Wagga Wagga's IT program, like Computer Organization, Operating Systems, Discrete Math, Computer Graphics, Linear Algebra, etc etc etc. Look at that page I linked to. You can choose one of two specializations, and both of them are great.

I'd definitely recommend going for the CS course at Bathurst over whatever's at Wagga Wagga, going by what's on their website. There is also something to be said for attending in person. One of the main benefits of going to a University is the like-minded people you meet. You won't get that by a distance education. If you do CS at Bathurst, is that worth three years' rent + food? If you do distance learning, would you end up missing on-campus job fairs, or connections with people who work at such-and-such company after graduating? $8.5k (on-campus cost) is much less than the variance in software developers get after graduating, so it seems easy to rationalize this expenditure. Especially when you're getting a degree in a field that is largely untouched by the recession and involves developing actual skills that people are willing to pay a lot of money for.

So, to summarize:

1. If you want to study software development, game development, or whatnot, you should definitely do the CS program at Bathurst, not the IT software major at Wagga Wagga, if your uni of choice is CSU. The stuff at Wagga Wagga is practically a not an education.
2. You can do it by distance learning or on campus, and I think you'd be much better off living on campus even if you had to take a loan.
[/quote]

Thanks! I had thought That no CS course was distance. I've already changed my preferences to make Bathurst CS Top, And I've began to figure out how get the finances up, considering that I had been told that bathurst Uni would cost around $10k. Thanks again for helping me, and Hopefully this time next year I'll be in Bathurst.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!