AstroMiner

Started by
35 comments, last by dangerz 12 years, 4 months ago
Yk2Qe.png

cool.gif Download: [url="http://www.mediafire.com/?gtix7klq417p7j3"]Download[/url], Mirror 1
cool.gif Requirements: .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and XNA Framework Redistributable 4.0.

Latest Version: .1Alpha.2

Game Website (http://www.astrominer.net)
Wiki
Getting Started Guide and Controls
Dev Blog

This is my game, AstroMiner. The game is set in an asteroid belt. You were originally on your way to a planet to do some reconnaissance work when you lose control of your main transport ship. You make an emergency evacuation using R-01, your recon ship, and land inside of the belt.

Inside the belt you have to build a base, defend yourself from enemy, terraform the base and eventually get back home.

I'm currently on Chapter 1: building the base. I have about 12 different structures you can build so far, 4 different types of enemies and 17 different block types. This is still an alpha release so it might be buggy. They should only be very minor bugs, though. I also have modding support built in.

Chapter 2 will be terraforming. Once you terraform, you'll be able to get out of your ship and walk around. You'll also start attracting a different type of enemy - one that's a little more mechanical. You'll be able to harvest this enemy to build helper bots.

Chapter 3 will be going home. You'll be able to transport yourself to other player maps and trade resources and items with them. You'll also be able to send yourself back home, completing the game.

The game is written in XNA, but my eventual goal is to port it to MonoGame.

Latest Updates (.1a.2 11/27/11)
  • All items and blocks now have their own floating graphic.
  • Memory leak in floatingItemsManager has been fixed.
  • Fixed bug where breaking glass could destroy tractor beam.
  • Fluid engine has been completely redone from scratch.
  • structuresManager draw() method has been optimized.
  • The higher the player goes, the less thick the asteroids become.
  • Pipes can now be placed inside of blocks.
  • When a player is on the ground and they place an item, it gets placed 2 blocks below. This has been fixed so the item is placed directly below.
Advertisement
Your trailer is corny but OK :)

It was a bit 'long' though - not as in the length of video was too long but rather it was too long for what was being shown. It took quite a while to go from the VO to the gameplay; I'd personally cut that in half so as to avoid it feeling dreary. I understand that just threw this out there but it's something to think about next time!
Also, the voices were OK but could have used a bit more distortion to them - we're in space after all and radio is gonna sound mightily distorted out there.

Other than that, the game looks fun! Keep it up!
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus

Your trailer is corny but OK :)

It was a bit 'long' though - not as in the length of video was too long but rather it was too long for what was being shown. It took quite a while to go from the VO to the gameplay; I'd personally cut that in half so as to avoid it feeling dreary. I understand that just threw this out there but it's something to think about next time!
Also, the voices were OK but could have used a bit more distortion to them - we're in space after all and radio is gonna sound mightily distorted out there.

Other than that, the game looks fun! Keep it up!

Haha I completely agree with all your points. It was something I threw together in a weekend. For the next "trailer", I have other voices lined up and it will show a lot more gameplay. Especially now that I have liquids in the game, I want to show how you can use them to your advantage.
Looks very fun; congrats!

Another suggestion about the trailer: Get someone else to do one of the voices. Since you did both the voices for "Houston" and "RZ1", I couldn't tell who was speaking at what time. smile.gif

Looks very fun; congrats!

Another suggestion about the trailer: Get someone else to do one of the voices. Since you did both the voices for "Houston" and "RZ1", I couldn't tell who was speaking at what time. smile.gif

Yaa I was short on voices for the original, haha.

I added a new section to the website for modding the game. I'm hoping I can put a release build out soon.
I added a new video of the new bombs that I created.

[media]
[/media]

YouTube keeps making my videos very dark for some reason. I'll have to artificially brighten them somehow.
edit: I used YouTube's editor to brighten it. It washed out a lot of detail, but at least it's not too dark.
http://dangerz.blogs...re-of-game.html

New post about the future direction of my game. I also created a launcher that will let me have auto-updates. It's been a lot of functional updates and not as much content lately. I'm also going to be looking for more testers soon. If you're interested, sign up at http://www.astrominer.net/f and I'll send out a link to the latest build soon.
It looks great so far Dangerz, good stuff!
Mike "Weem" -- "Epic Inventor" Game Designer and Artist
I've spent the night working on a forge. Full details and more screenshots are at my dev blog, http://dangerz.blogspot.com. It was fun to make and it adds another crafting element to the game.
GAuPb.png

Huge image of the base I built in the game. I use this to test any new features that I roll out. Luckily I haven't put out any updates that had any drastic map changes lately, so I've been able to keep it for a while.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement