AstroMiner

Started by
35 comments, last by dangerz 12 years, 4 months ago

[quote name='dangerz' timestamp='1321921136' post='4886396']
I had someone that was having random issues with the game as well. They updated their XNA libraries and everything fixed itself. You could try that if you'd like, but I'd understand if you don't want to mess with them. If you don't mind updating, you can find them at http://www.microsoft...B6-FB17111CF544 and http://www.microsoft...08-d35c013c3b97

ive installed the XNA 4 SDK, so i dont know whats up there unless theve updated it.

i will try the XNA Redist first, if that donw work ill first try reinstalling the .Net 4 Fx from the VS2010 disk( my ISP connection is not very fast ).

---edit---
does the VS2010 SP1 affect the game at all ?
because i installed it.
am going to download the .Net 4 Fx you linked to to see if it helps.
[/quote]
It shouldn't effect it. I'm using the generic .net File.IO, so it's nothing fancy. Another guess of mine is that it's something related to the thread. The fact that it's not creating a log is telling me that it's not even launching the save thread.

Sorry I don't have any news no this yet. I'm still investigating.
Advertisement
While I'm investigating Ryan's issue, I've been making some updates. These include a new background and some other requested features. More details at http://dangerz.blogspot.com/.
I released a new build tonight. It can be downloaded here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=22847.0

There is a lot more debugging information being logged now. That'll help me narrow down Ryan's problem. Here is the full list of changes:

• Radar
  • Better Mouse Controls
  • Beam lights up the area around it
  • More Base2
  • Performance updates - more specifically, the structures draw method and the world draw method have been combined, giving me an increase in 30fps. Player won't notice because the game is fixed at 60fps, but it gives me more leeway for when I want to add features in the future.
  • Chests now drop items if they are destroyed
  • W and A can now be used to control the menu.
  • Top left GUI can now be modded.
  • Ability to turn audio on/off has been added to the options screen.
  • Logging support has been added. A game.log file is created in the root folder.
  • Background track from Connor Humphreys - Artist of the Fortnight (1 of many!)
[font="Verdana"]New release tonight. Here's the changelog:[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]All items and blocks now have their own floating graphic.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]Memory leak in floatingItemsManager has been fixed.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]Fixed bug where breaking glass could destroy tractor beam.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]Fluid engine has been completely redone from scratch.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]structuresManager draw() method has been optimized.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]The higher the player goes, the less thick the asteroids become.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]Pipes can now be placed inside of blocks.[/font]
  • [font="Verdana"]When a player is on the ground and they place an item, it gets placed 2 blocks below. This has been fixed so the item is placed directly below.[/font]
[font="Verdana"]
This version has an important map update. You cannot play your old maps until you convert them.
Follow the directions at http://www.astromine...?f=4&t=66&p=126 to convert.[/font]

[font="Verdana"]This also has better logging/exception handling, so if you test it Ryan please let me know. You can find the log file in the astrominer folder. It'll be called game.log.[/font]
I've been working on multiplayer a lot lately. I've hit a lot of hurdles, but I have a path forward and I'm following it. You can see the full details here: http://dangerz.blogspot.com/2011/12/multiplayer-milestones-and-summary-of.html

I also have a summary and lots of screenshots of my year in game development. I'm hoping to have the first multiplayer build complete within the next 2 weeks (in time for the holiday break).
sorry for taking so long.

but i think the problem it to do with the XML parsing.

here is the log file from the previuse version:

Init - 2011/11/28 10:46:50 AM
2011/11/28 10:47:21 AM: loadState() - False
2011/11/28 10:47:21 AM: loadState() - False
2011/11/28 10:47:21 AM: Load Game at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\.astro\maps\65\state.dz
2011/11/28 10:47:52 AM: _threadedLoad() - System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (88, 18). ---> System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (88, 18). ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Unexpected end of file has occurred. The following elements are not closed: value, item, changes, configData. Line 88, position 18.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String arg)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowUnclosedElements()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadEndElement()
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadEndElement()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderchange.Read5_change(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderchange.Read6_change()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at SerializableDictionary`2.ReadXml(XmlReader reader)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadSerializable(IXmlSerializable serializable, Boolean wrappedAny)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderconfigData.Read4_configData(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderconfigData.Read5_configData()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream)
at AstroMiner.classes.fileManager._threadedLoad()
2011/11/28 10:47:52 AM: save() - False
2011/11/28 10:47:52 AM: save() - False
2011/11/28 10:47:52 AM: Save Game at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\.astro\maps\65\state.dz
2011/11/28 10:47:52 AM: stateFile: System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\.astro\maps\65\state.dz' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode)
at AstroMiner.classes.fileManager.getWriteStream(String fileName)
at AstroMiner.classes.fileManager._threadedSave()
2011/11/28 10:53:11 AM: save() - False
2011/11/28 10:53:11 AM: save() - False
2011/11/28 10:53:11 AM: Save Game at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\.astro\maps\65\state.dz

and here is the one from the current version:

Init - 2011/12/09 07:38:20 AM
2011/12/09 07:39:01 AM: loadState() - False
2011/12/09 07:39:01 AM: loadState() - False
2011/12/09 07:39:01 AM: Load Game at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\.astro\maps\65\state.dz

with the previuse release i was able to try it out a bit( just a little bit ).
is it supposed to be so dark that you can only see for a few "blocks" ?( i did change the light, it seamed to be on / off option )

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

No problem. I think I've actually fixed this, but the unfortunate thing is that I can't release the fix. I'm in the middle of adding multiplayer support and the code is not in a release state :/ I'll post up here when it is.

Thanks for the heads up!
Roy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement