Your Game Engine!

Started by
32 comments, last by TrianglesPCT 12 years, 5 months ago
I'm just kind of curious for comparison, but I was wondering how many lines of code is your game engine(if you are working on, or have made one!)? I wrote a script to count my header and .cpp file lines, and including my server, client + the actual engine, I'm at 8300 lines of code(white space included).

What about you guys? I really have no idea what is "normal" for the size of a game engine.
Advertisement
I have no way to count but it would have to be roughly 30,000 lines so far (still allot of work to go, and not including game code).

But remember what Bill Gates said, "Judging progress on software by lines of code is like judging progress on an aircraft by weight" or some-such.
Just a suggestion if your engine is in c/c++, instead of counting line of code, count line with a ;

It's still pretty useless but it make lore sense comparing as people have different coding structure.

I'm just kind of curious for comparison, but I was wondering how many lines of code is your game engine(if you are working on, or have made one!)? I wrote a script to count my header and .cpp file lines, and including my server, client + the actual engine, I'm at 8300 lines of code(white space included).

What about you guys? I really have no idea what is "normal" for the size of a game engine.

I doubt there's such a thing as a 'normal size' for a game engine, and it's generally a bad idea to attach any value to the amount of code you've written instead of the quality of code

EDIT:

To contribute to this thread, mine has about 70000 lines of code right now

I gets all your texture budgets!

The number of lines in the current engine is about 60000. Reducing the number of lines using well defined functions will reduce the possible errors both by reducing the lines that can have a bug and by spending more time on each line. When I started with the engine, it was twice as big and had about 15 times as much CPU overhead by using DirectX utility instead of having everything custom made.
Our codebase is several million lines of code. I don't have a recent exact count, sorry.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Interesting responses! BTW I wasn't measuring my engine by line count, I am just curious!

Interesting responses! BTW I wasn't measuring my engine by line count, I am just curious!

i dont use engines. i write all my code free and mainly only apply to global containers for data and few files. i try to do it all at one and don't like the sense of all that "engine" work.
Not sure about the lines of code, but the current project I'm working on has about 1.4 megabytes of C# source.

[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler
Not sure about lines of code for us either, our iOS game has 2 MB of C code. After 1 MB C stops being fun.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement