• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wymsical

MSVC: The cause of 1/2 my problems

This topic is 6168 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m just bearing with MSVC right now, once I''m finished with this project i''ll ditch it... I''m not sure if this is an option that I accidentally hit, or a virus or something that corruped my files, but I know that MSVC has done some really stupid things in the past. For example, it would just -not compile- my file when I tell it to. I would press the compile button, it would say it compiled successfully, but it will turn out that it hadn''t. The only fix is to reboot the computer ( Window''s holy grail ( see: Windows, The cuase of the other 1/2 of my problems ) ) I would find class view information suddenly lost for no reason, I''ve seen MSVC ignore ANSI standards, and I''ve seen MSVC give me errors that are fixed by telling it to compile again. Anyways, my problem is: When I try and compile my main project, it will try and rebuild every project that it depends on, as if i pressed the "Rebuild All" button. Is there a flag/option I accidentally set? or do I have to spend an hour to rebuild a corrupted workspace again? (thats right, AGAIN ) Thx in advance The Wymsical Wyvern

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Any other programs acting funny? Also, what Windows are you using - 9x?

It sounds to me like you have data integrity problems, and I''d advise that you back up everything valuable quick !

win98 se,
i learned YEARS ago (from windows btw) to keep things backed up
so i back up daily

since i had a backup, i used the backed up projects and workspace, but kept my new code, and it didn't help
i tried rebooting the program and rebooting windows (the usuals) and it woudln't help either.

ummm as far as other programs, nothing else seems to be acting funny, altho this time i hadn't been doing much heavy work with windows (corel, max etc)

Wymsical

Edited by - wymsical on September 25, 2001 11:33:35 PM

This can happen when one of the files has had its date screwed up somehow. e.g., if you have a .h file that''s included by just about everything, and it''s date is somehow 2002 or something like that, it will always recompile everything.

Check through all your dates. If all else fails, delete all the temporary files (everything in the debug/release directories, everything but the .dsp, .rc, .c and .cpp files in the code directory) and try again.

hahah, ok i remember what i did. This time it wasn''t MSVC''s fault
i had a demo app that expired after 30 days so.. you know... I did a little date change

so i apologize to msvc for this time

BUT I STILL HATE MSVC

until next time....

The Wymsical Wyvern

Actually, this problem you describe is not uncommon. However, in my experience, it only happens on Windows 9x machines--I''ve never seen it happen to an NT (NT, 2000, XP) box. So, see if you can''t get your hands on some NT OS.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!