• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ZEJOKER13

Newbie - Need any advice

This topic is 2595 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[font="Times New Roman"]For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted a career in Video Games. I am familiar with webpage design. (HTML,CSS) and I am more into the coding aspect of all of this, although I do draw a bit here and there so I want a little graphic. Mainly though I want to learn the programming and I have no idea how to get started. In two years I will be choosing a college/university to go to so I have time to prepare myself in having a job in the creation of a game. Any help at all such as step 1. etc. could be a lot of help. Please and thank you in advance.[/font]

Advertisement
Not sure how good your coding skills are, so I'll aim low and you can decide what applies to you.

Write some games. ALOT of games. The more games the better. Start with something simple, work up to more complex stuff. The simple stuff will get you into the right mind-set of what the game loop is all about and how to handle user input, which are fairly key things to learn as they are the foundation of most games.
I'd also recommend brushing up on your maths skills. Especially if you want to get into 3D games, as even very basic stuff makes heavy use of Matrices.

As a general suggestion to my fellow gd.net users, maybe we should have a tutorial forum with stickied posts containing game specs we can direct aspiring game developers to? So an early one might be the spec for a number guessing game, and then each one after that would be structured to slowly increase in complexity and introduce games-related concepts? Just a random thought.

You can really have those "aha" moments for multiple paradigms in C#, without the pain of learning LISP.

Sure. And with VS2011, why not just stick with that. It has F#, VB, C#. It's a good way to become well rounded and exposes to different aspects of exactly the same thing in exactly the one way.

Pain is the whole point. LISP, just like any other language, is not about syntax. It's there, but that's not the main point. For one, there is the Unix world, with shell, files, pipes and all that. The absence of anything MS. The annoyances of console text editors and, despite being 2011, still many of them breaking on strange characters and garbling input. The issues with Unicode. Lack of UI. And so on...

That said, good ways to start are: Here. Here. Or perhaps even here.

You know... and I am really starting to become a bit of a language fanboy.... but with recent developments in C#, you can almost replace part four with "Learn C#". You can really have those "aha" moments for multiple paradigms in C#, without the pain of learning LISP.

Obviously, you never "got" Lisp.

I don't mean that to be derogatory - most people never do. But if you think C# is even in the same league of paradigmatic abstraction as Lisp, you never really learned Lisp.

[font="Times New Roman"]Thanks, so far so good. I think you have to hit a lower lower than that. I can only design basic websites, as those are the only languages I know. I have a few ideas on where to start but am quite doubtful. So basically learn a few programming languages and just stick with them until I feel like I can move on to another? I just have notepad and HTML + CSS at the moment. Ha! Also, I've read quite a bit, lisp, C# etc are new to my ears and eyes. I only heard Java or C++. Reading different things kind in different places and that pretty much only screws my head a bit more.[/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]Thanks, so far so good. I think you have to hit a lower lower than that. I can only design basic websites, as those are the only languages I know. I have a few ideas on where to start but am quite doubtful. So basically learn a few programming languages and just stick with them until I feel like I can move on to another? I just have notepad and HTML + CSS at the moment. Ha! Also, I've read quite a bit, lisp, C# etc are new to my ears and eyes. I only heard Java or C++. Reading different things kind in different places and that pretty much only screws my head a bit more.[/font]

No, to be honest, thats pretty terrible advice for someone just starting out. Pick one, one that is main stream, well documented and has good tools and library support, and run with it. Read that first link, it will have the most common/appropriate selections.

At some point in your career you should pick up other languages, and a functional one at that, but now just focus on the basics of programming.

I would personally recommend C#, but Java & Python are perfectly valid alternatives. There is also C++, and some slightly more fringe languages like Ruby or Lua. Ruby and Lua are a bit too unsupported ( very few books, smaller communities, etc... ) and at least in my opinion, C++ makes a fairly poor first language, as you have to master too many concepts on top of learning to program.

Pick a language, any language. Throw a dart at a dartboard, flip a coin, shuffle a deck of cards - whatever it takes.

Then get the tools needed to work in that language, and go start messing around :-) It helps to pick a project or 3 that you really want to try and accomplish - nothing too big, but something that would force you to stretch a bit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!