Need ideas for improving lava rendering

Started by
5 comments, last by speciesUnknown 12 years, 5 months ago
This is what users see when they first approach a lava pit,
lavaaaaaaa.png

n.b. how would I make an image which you can click to expand? ive seen the same thing in a few gdnet posts.

I need ideas for making the rendering of the lava more in fitting with the rest of the art style. The usual molten rock style wouldn't work in a non photorealistic game. I'm using SM3.0.

Any ideas welcome.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Advertisement
Some sort of Voronoi type pattern with different shades of orange slowly fading between each other?
[TheUnbeliever]
Perhaps you might take inspiration from Darwinia's water rendering? The layering of a quite detailed texture over blocky pixels is quite visually pleasing.
darwinia_screen3.jpg

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I agree with the Voronoi. If not for a scrolling Voronoi texture, at least some sort of subtle pattern to make it match the environment - that flatness is part of the visual difference.

The other part is the contrast. It's a very bright color and it's drawing too much attention; you can weaken the contrast by using a slightly darker orange. If possible, make it darker+redder along the edges, and brighter+yellower closer to the center.

I looked at darwinia specifically so that i could avoid being too similar, as I don't want to be labelled as a Darwinia ripoff; although the game is a vehicle shooter rather than a strategy. In particular I want to make my liquids look different, and im going to use a different style for trees.

Voroni is a great idea though. I've found some algorithms on wikipedia on how to make it. I'll give that a go and see how it looks when its done.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
One of the reasons I mentioned Darwinia is that I am fairly sure the detail texture they use on the water *is* generated using voronoi cells :)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

One of the reasons I mentioned Darwinia is that I am fairly sure the detail texture they use on the water *is* generated using voronoi cells :)

The main way in which I've decided to differentiate myself from darwinia is that im not using flat shading, preferring a faux wireframe effect for buildings and units. I'll experiment with the effects of overlaying different geometric patterns to produce something partially random.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement