• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Glass_Knife

[java] Java decompiler to recover old code

This topic is 2599 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

A few years ago I wrote a little java app for my wife to use at work. I didn't back up my software back then, and I lost the source code, but I would like to recreate the code from the *.jar file.
My question is this: Has anyone used a decompiler? Could anyone recommend one? I am always leery about using stuff like this without a recommendation.

Thanks so much,

Advertisement
This is the one that came to the top of my list when I was searching. I will give it a try.
If anyone else has used something else, I'd still love to hear about it.

Thanks,

I can recommend Jad, which is a simple command-line tool. Java tends to decompile beautifully - the code should be pretty readable.

I ended up trying Java Decompiler. It was easy to use. I just unzipped it and ran it. It opened my jar file, and I was able to look at all the code before finally saving the source code into another zip file. It took a little time to tweak the code to compile again, but it was a lot better than rewriting everything.

Hope this helps someone.

Ciao,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!