• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
phil_t

Hyloth

This topic is 2603 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I wanted to introduce the game project I'm working on. I don't have a name for it yet, so I'm using "Hyloth" for the time being, which is a dungeon from the Ultima series (one of my inspirations).

It will be an RPG set in an alternate reality in medieval-ish times (not original at all, but this makes it easier to develop), with a bit of a twist. The original seed of a story was to think about how alien abductions would appear to a non-technologically advanced civilization (a bit of a spoiler, but I figure not too many people from the general public will look at this forum).

I want to have a focus on exploration and a compelling living/breathing game world. I'm trying to combine the things I miss about old RPGs but with the gameplay advances that have take place in the last 20 years. And hopefully beautiful (but not necessarily realistic) visuals.

After 14 years as a professional developer, I quit my job to start work on this, so hopefully I have the motivation to execute well and see it through to the end :-)

One of the key parts of the game for me will be making a beautiful outdoor environment and having nature tie in with gameplay. Mostly lately I've been working on visuals, specifically weather and wind. I'd like to show off a bit of what I've done:

[media]
[/media]

In the past I've done some gameplay prototypes with basic 2d graphics. I hope to begin working on the core gameplay and combat soon, and maybe have a play-testable demo by early next year.

Currently I'm using XNA, so I hope to make this for PC and Xbox 360. If eventually I think I have something worthwhile though, I may port to a more cross-platform solution (e.g. Unity) in the future.

Let me know what you think!

I have a developer's blog at http://mtnphil.wordpress.com, and the main website for my one-person company is http://icefallgames.com. Not much there yet except a few random game design thoughts, and some screenshots from my prototypes.

Phil
IceFall Games

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!