• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
musafir2007

Android multiplayer game

This topic is 2605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,
I want to create a simple multiplayer game for Android. I would say I am about an average programmer and have programmed in C, java, c# and python on Windows. I am a complete beginner in games over network and to Android in general and have no idea how it works. I am not going for anything crazy.. maybe just start with a simple tic tac toe, so I guess transfer speed is not that important.
What are my options? do I use bluetooth? I guess with bluetooth 2 phones will have to be near, which is not very practical.. or what other protocol can I use? What is the standard people use to write simple multiplayer games.
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement

What are my options? do I use bluetooth? I guess with bluetooth 2 phones will have to be near, which is not very practical.. or what other protocol can I use? What is the standard people use to write simple multiplayer games.

Try the FAQ for this forum. It has a healthy amount of information of varying difficulty level.
Generally, you'll probably end up using TCP for your type of game.
Additionally, you may need some service that lets one player find another player. This is known as "lobbying" or "matchmaking" or sometimes "introduction."
Sometimes, a simple enough game can be written entirely based on HTTP requests to a common server.

I can recommend the Mosync IDE and compiler. It lets you program in c\c++ and use one code base for multiple platforms including iphone\ipad, android, windows mobile, and many more. It even has opengl es support.

http://www.mosync.com/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!