• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AoS

Feedback on Real World Economy in Game

This topic is 2607 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For the purposes of this discussion my ability to attract a large enough player base is to be assumed, the same goes for supporting hardware.
I am working to construct a text based browser game. As it says in the title the game functions with a free market economy where all resources and items are generated by players. So players can collect resources alone, or in groups. They can also start a "business" and produce resources. Essentially a player pays for building materials and hires npc building crews. Players can also help construct, for wages set by the player who is building the building.
A player with a base 1 skill completes any task as well as an npc. So npcs perform tasks for value 1 and players perform them for value 1+skill. Once a building is built or during, the constructing player can acquire production capital. NPC stores do exist in the starting area, and players can purchase base level goods there, much like NPCs are value 1 and players are value 1+skill, npc made items work at value 1 and player items work at value 1+.1skill+.5material level. So if the base metal is copper, and the player constructing the production capital is skill 1, that item is worth 1.6x as much as the base npc item. An item with the 10th level metal and 100skill level is 1+5+10 or 16mining value. A player with 10 in mining makes 16*11 or 176resource per hour.
Obviously I can tweak these numbers, I'm sure they aren't perfect right now. Players can hire a number of npcs and workers based on the resource size and building level. Also his cash flow, gotta pay the workers. Has anyone gotten any experience with this type of system, what kind of pitfalls can I expect? I am trying to make it somewhat resistant to player exploits. Some checks exist outside of the economy system. If a player is taking up all the copper mines for a large area, players can group up and capture some of his mines. A whole bunch of the game revolves around player relationships. If you piss people off they might organize a large assault. No amount of npc guards can hold off a large and determined portion of the player base.
What do you think are some of the problems I might face with this system? I have heard that given the limited number of top level positions in a realistic capitalist economy, many players will feel left out. However, I am attempting to offset this somewhat with the large variety of options, basic npc support, since you can't rely on player labor for boring harvesting, that's more something for players to set up before sleep and bring a nice bonus to owners. Also there is somewhat of a group element, where in town wars, realm wars, organizing militias, being or fighting bandits, and so forth, even lower level players can achieve something. I presume I will need to balance it so that one career won't be too much better money wise. So farming food crops or exploring or collecting plants or building things with wood needs to be viable compared to alchemy, wizardry, mining, weapon crafting, and so forth. Aside from divine intervention, what are some ways to prevent players from exploiting a system? Given say, 100 possible paths to wealth, what size of player base do I need? I mean, players can do most of the game with 100 players and npcs and each player holding down 1 or 2 skills. But obviously the game supports a much larger player base.

Advertisement
players can group up and capture some of his mines
I think you too quickly assumed combat. Are you trying to make a wargame or business simulation? For wargame you probably don't want or need "Real World Economy" in the first place.

In all games I have seen with war enabled, the war always was the priority in the end. In the best economy games I have never seen any war element. In short, if you enable war it will naturally gravitate towards the *only* purpose of the economy system to produce military units and other military assets.

[quote name='AltarofScience' timestamp='1319863190' post='4878128']players can group up and capture some of his mines
I think you too quickly assumed combat. Are you trying to make a wargame or business simulation? For wargame you probably don't want or need "Real World Economy" in the first place.

In all games I have seen with war enabled, the war always was the priority in the end. In the best economy games I have never seen any war element. In short, if you enable war it will naturally gravitate towards the *only* purpose of the economy system to produce military units and other military assets.
[/quote]

Well you can't purchase war units per say. You can buy npc guards to protect buildings or trade units. But you can buy thousands of units ala travian or evony and just run around attacking people. Firstly because even if buying units like that were possible, most single players or even small groups couldn't afford it. You would still need a significant economic system to buy weapons and armor also. One of the major goals is killing monsters, most items produced are gear for quests as in a standard rpg. That gear does also translate to large scale pvp war, assuming a group of players has the organization and resources to fight a war.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!