What it takes to create a 3d character moving in 3d world?

Started by
2 comments, last by Burnt_Fyr 12 years, 5 months ago
Hello guys, I've been using C++ and SFML lately, and I wanted to try some 3d programming out of curiousity.
[size=2]

[size=2]All I want to do is load some 3d model as a character and let it move around a small 3d world using a 3rd person camera.

[size=2]What C++ library/software should I use?
[size=2]Does the library have beginner-friendly tutorials?
[size=2]How much of C++ should I know prior to taking 3d programming?
[size=2]Around how long will it take to learn the skills for the program I wish to code above?
[size=2]

[size=2]Thanks.
[size=2]

[size=2]PS: -I hope what I have to use will all be free.
[size=2]-I don't need to create the 3d models myself.
Advertisement
Well the only thig I can say is look into OpenGL. Although I havent personally used it I always hear very good things about it and it seems to be the most popular. It really dosnt matter how much experience you have as long as you know all the basics of c++.
Just look up opengl sample code, and muck around with it, youll get the picture.

Hello guys, I've been using C++ and SFML lately, and I wanted to try some 3d programming out of curiousity.

All I want to do is load some 3d model as a character and let it move around a small 3d world using a 3rd person camera.

What C++ library/software should I use?
Does the library have beginner-friendly tutorials?
How much of C++ should I know prior to taking 3d programming?
Around how long will it take to learn the skills for the program I wish to code above?

Thanks.

PS: -I hope what I have to use will all be free.
-I don't need to create the 3d models myself.

OpenGL or DirectX, the choice at this point doesn't matter that much, just pick one and learn. Once your theory is solid, you'll be able to work with both api's, but until that time, you won't have the experience to make an informed decision on which api you prefer.

Both libraries have tons of support online, google is your friend.

none :) c++ isn't a requirement for 3d. Math is however, so rather than worrying about language/apis, focus on the math/theory behind it all at this point.

depends on too many variables to give a valid answer. at least a day, and possibly a decade or more. somewhere in between seems most likely though

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement