• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Thunderfox

OpenGL Different count of vertices in 3ds file

This topic is 2602 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello,

I want to display a 3ds file on my Android smartphone. Lately, I used the Engine jpct-ae but it seems to be impossible to create fast sprite animations. So I decided to write the required code to communicate with opengl by my own. In general, it works really good, but there is something I do not understand and did not found on the Internet:
Why is the count of vertices after I export it in a 3ds file much bigger than previously in Wings3D or Blender. In Wings3D for example, one object has24 vertices and when I load it in my app or in another 3d Modelviewer, there are 68 vertices. I did not use a soft function or something similar, so some different vertices have really the same coordinates.

When I want to calculate the vertex normals, I need the normals for all faces which are connected with a vertex normal. So, when there are multiple vertices which are all the same, I have to reduce all these to one and remap the facelist (Vertex 48 -> 14, 56 -> 16 etc. because it is the same) to get all faces connected with a vertex for correct vertex normals. It's possible to do this, but it increases the needed time for loading a Object.

So, is it possible to export a 3ds-file with only on vertex with the same coordinate or why is it so?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!