• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
HavingPhun

3D physics engine.

This topic is 2592 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi am creating a game engine and one of its parts will be a 3d\2d physics engine. How would I go about this? Also how would I make sure the physics engine and my graphics engine work together and in sync? I would use box2D or bullet but i want to make everything myself.

Advertisement
I recommend looking into "Game Engine Architecture" and you can also google for Entity / Actor Systems or Game Objects.

I encourage you to write your own physic engine and a good start might the presentations by Erin Catto. You can also use Box2D Lite as an orientation. I assume that you have a reasonable mathmaetical background and are familiar vector calculus and dynamics (somewhere on a university level). If you don't have these prerequisites you can still try it, but it will have a very steep learning curve. Another thing to consider is to use Havok (3D) or Box2D (2D). You will learn a lot just from integrating and using these libraries.

HTH,
-Dirk

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!