Text Based RPG help

Started by
34 comments, last by sharpe 12 years, 4 months ago
Hurry up!!! :angry:

Just, kidding, man. :D

Never did say I dig your ASCII art! Pulpfist explained to me how to set my window size in my C# text-based RPG. You may wish to consider doing the same at some point. That way, your ASCII art is certain to display correctly. On my screen, the top is cut off.

Also, just a single line giving us play-testers a simple objective or goal to focus on would be helpful -- a quest, that is (I know you're working on "real" quest right now, this is just something for the play-testers to do right off the bat). That way, when we reach the goal, we know we've tested everything you would like. Something like, "Go from the store to the dungeon."

An overall game loop that will keep the game from closing would be nice. That way, when you die, it goes back to the title screen. The player could (Q)uit from there.

Getting to the store is hard freaking work! :D I made it to level 2! Yay for me! A "level up" message at some point in development would be nice; just saying.

I've not made it to the dungeon yet. The spell seems to do less damage than my weapon (a long sword, at the time, but I bought a scimitar). I know it's not time to balance the game out, but I'd suggest having spells with limited uses do twice both the minimum and maximum damage of your unlimited melee attack. I think the rule of thumb for a generic RPG was to have spells cast-able about five times, but I can't remember.

When I first got to the store, I didn't have enough money to buy anything. But, since I was already in that menu with no way out, I tried to buy the cheapest thing. The game crashed. Maybe have 0 go back to the shop's main menu?

When you exit the store, you have no way of going back in without chancing the dangers of leaving 2,3 -- you probably already knew that, though. Just saying.

Well, on level 2 with a shiny new scimitar, I'm off to brave the wilderness on my quest to the dungeon! Wish me luck!

EDIT: Made it to the dungeon and level 3! :D

Do you think you could add numbered grid spaces to your map? Something like this (whitespace will be messed up in code tag; see pastebin link):

cout << endl;
string a = " 0 1 2 3 4"; cout << a << endl;
string b = " /---------------------------------------\\"; cout << b << endl;
string c = " | | | | | |"; cout << c << endl;
string d = "2 | | | | | |"; cout << d << endl;
stirng e = " |---------------------------------------|"; cout << e << endl;
string f = " | | | STORE | | |"; cout << f << endl;
string g = "3 | | | * | | |"; cout << g << endl;
string h = " |---------------------------------------|"; cout << h << endl;
string i = " | |"; cout << i << endl;
string j = " | |"; cout << j << endl;
string k = " | dungeon |"; cout << k << endl;
string l = " | * |"; cout << l << endl;
string m = " | |"; cout << m << endl;
string n = " \\---------------------------------------/"; cout << n << endl;
system("PAUSE");

http://pastebin.com/XWjJ4wmi
A 30-year-old interested in learning to program by making an old-school, simple, text-only or 2D dungeon fantasy video game.

• As of 9/28/2011, currently attempting to learn the basics of Python 2.7.
  • As of 10/14/11, Dabbling in C#.
  • As of 10/24/11, decisively surpassed my small knowledge of Python in C#.
Advertisement
Thanks for all the suggestions there Sharpe. Many of those are reasons I hadn't released another version yet. This one comes with quite a few fixes, all though I didn't get as much done as I would have liked.

Some Changes: ( I should start keeping track of these):D

1)Console window now re-sizes to 800 x 600 pixels when you launch the game.
2)Game loop continues until you choose quit game from the start menu. I.e. If you die, you now just return to the start menu.
3)Spell damages have been increased.
4)Player Attacks have been increased.
5)All classes now have more HP.
6)Monsters drop more gold.
7)New Monster Scamp has been added.
8)You can now encounter multiple enemies, up to 3.
9)Scamps and Goblins are now twice as likely to be encountered than any other creature to make it more balanced.
10)When you leave the store, you no longer have to move to enter it. Just view your stats or map, then you'll enter the store again.
11)When you try to buy an item and don't have enough gold, the store displays "You don't have enough gold for that" and you return to the store menu, where you can exit.
12)The Map has been redesigned. It is now properly scaled. Each "-" equals one moveable point in the world space.
13)Quests have been added. You get your first quest at the start of the game, the second upon completing the first. Second quest has not been fully implemented and is not completable at the moment.
14)Opening dialogue has been added. Starts you off on your first quest.
15)Inn is now fully functional. When you reach the inn and talk to the innkeeper your first quest is complete and he gives you a new quest and some gold. FYI At the Inn you can rest, and receive full health, without worrying about being attacked.
16)Added a couple spells and a new weapon.
17)Save/Load system has been updated to handle quests.

There's more, I'm just more focused on getting more done than what I've already gotten done. If that makes sense.:cool:

Anyway, the newest version is attached to this post.

NOTE: I got the file size WAY down by following some tips mentioned earlier and deleting the precompiled header files. You'll just have to extract the archive to a folder and open the project. The project should rebuild it self upon opening and be ready to run. If you have any questions feel free to post em'.

TESTER OBJECTIVE: Start new game, head for the inn, then head to the store, buy some some stuff. Try to reach level 3 if you can. Basically just hunt out bugs.
Can I suggest you also include the executable in your "release"? This way, for people who just want to run the game, they don't have to open VS (assuming they have VS), compile, and then run it.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Can I suggest you also include the executable in your "release"? This way, for people who just want to run the game, they don't have to open VS (assuming they have VS), compile, and then run it.

I, too, was going to make the same suggestion, but being a newbie, didn't know if it was savoir-faire on here to do so.

I downloaded VS C++ Express just to play this game, by the way. I only had VS C#. But, it was a good tool to have so I has happy to do so.

I'm looking forward to playing it again! :)
A 30-year-old interested in learning to program by making an old-school, simple, text-only or 2D dungeon fantasy video game.

Here's a release version for anyone without Visual C++. Simply extract and play. :wink:
The .exe crashes instantly upon moving on my Windows 7 laptop.

It crashes immediately after selecting north, south, east or west. I used both the number keys above the letters, and on my laptop's keypad. Windows informs me, "rpg.exe has stopped working."

I'll try compiling it later. It's 1:15 a.m. and time for bed.

EDIT: Compiling seemed to work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement