Hulls and COB calculation

Started by
5 comments, last by wildbunny 12 years, 5 months ago
I have some questions on calculating COB for a mesh. Assume that the hull density is non uniform. Knowing the total mass of the hull, how can I calculate COB?

My instincts tell me that I will need to integrate the volume starting from the lowest part of the keel up, along the +y axis, until I arrive at d for a plane p(<0,1,0.>,d) where the volume of the hull below p * density of water = mass of hull. If so than the centroid of that mesh should be the COB. I'm also aware that it should be possible to use some sort of binary subdivision to speed this up.

Am I on the right track.

Any tips/links appreciated
Advertisement

I have some questions on calculating COB for a mesh. Assume that the hull density is non uniform. Knowing the total mass of the hull, how can I calculate COB?

My instincts tell me that I will need to integrate the volume starting from the lowest part of the keel up, along the +y axis, until I arrive at d for a plane p(<0,1,0.>,d) where the volume of the hull below p * density of water = mass of hull. If so than the centroid of that mesh should be the COB. I'm also aware that it should be possible to use some sort of binary subdivision to speed this up.

Am I on the right track.

Any tips/links appreciated

No one has anything to share? ( my polite bump)
I've done COB calculations before but only as a weighted sum of point masses type integration rather than anything more fancy... :)
Have you looked at S.Melax here: http://www.melax.com/volint.html.

There are also papers from Mirtich and Eberly. Google for polyhedral mass properties.

Have you looked at S.Melax here: http://www.melax.com/volint.html.

There are also papers from Mirtich and Eberly. Google for polyhedral mass properties.

link is broken, will work my google...Thanks for the hints about the papers... off to citeseer i go.

I've done COB calculations before but only as a weighted sum of point masses type integration rather than anything more fancy... :)

That is how I'm getting the masses of each object that makes up the hull or lies inside it. This is also why the density of the hull varies, depending on where in the hull i'm looking. Thanks for coming out though(seriously the fact that someone answered at all brings hope)

That is how I'm getting the masses of each object that makes up the hull or lies inside it. This is also why the density of the hull varies, depending on where in the hull i'm looking. Thanks for coming out though(seriously the fact that someone answered at all brings hope)

In LBP PSP we had two material types which were buoyant, and it was possible to glue multiple convex objects together (each one had its own material type). I knew the buoyancy of the material, the area of the polygon (this was in 2d) and the COM of each sub-object so I could do some weighted sum type calculations to work out where the COB was in the overall object, and then apply an impulse at that location to make the object float (or not)... :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement