• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Update DirectX Project

This topic is 2304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys, i created a directx 8 projekt years ago and now I want to update it to a newer version.
Are there any possibilitys to do this ?

Advertisement
If you mean update to a new version of DirectX, of course it is possible :)

Download the new DirectX SDK (June 2010) and start reading the tutorials/documentation. I suggest you to start right with DirectX 11 because it allows you to specify which hardware features you want to enable so your project can run on older hardware...
Then you might want to buy a book (I suggest "Practical Rendering and Computation with Direct3D 11" - it's a great book and if you have questions related to the book/samples you can ask in the Hieroglyph 3 discussion page or even in this forum because some of the authors are highly active here).

Other than what TiagoCosta pointed out, be aware that if you are focusing on releasing your game for the masses, or even if it's a tool that if you wish to support Windows XP you will need to know and use DirectX 9 as DirectX 11 will not work on Windows XP (despite TiagoCosta's comment of being able to run on older hardware .. it won't run on the older OS.)

If you wish to support XP you have to use DirectX 9. However if this is what you want to do ignore the Fixed Function Pipeline and focus on using shaders instead as that will transfer over to DirectX 11. They got rid of the fixed function pipeline in DirectX 10/11 so learning it will be a waste of your time.

Frank Luna's shader books (here is the directx 9 one http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/1598220160) are great. Actually almost all of his books are excellent, IMO. Can't comment on all as I don't have all :P .

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement