• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Unknownforest

Profit on XNA marketplace VS iOS appstore

This topic is 2566 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Looking at the differences in development costs what I would like to know this.

Would developing a game if (marketable & good enough) for iOS marketplace make me more money then Xbox indie marketplace? From my understanding some developers are able to make money but the ios appstore still have a huge following.

So which would I be more likely to make more money off of?

Advertisement
Either can be profitable.

Either can be unprofitable.

Much more important is your actual business plan and your actual product.

What is your business plan?

Your business plan should include market research on the trends and types of games have historically sold well and those that do poorly. The plan should include notes on trends, which ones are starting the upswing, and how you intend to enter before the tide starts to recede. It should also explain how you are going to market your game into the tens of thousands of downloads category.

If your business plan was to just make something and hope it sells by itself, or to just wing it when you get there (both are unfortunately common plans) then don't expect much.

Sorry for the delay. What I want to do is try to make a game that is profitable, but that differs from other casual type of games. I wanted advice about which one would make me more money if I make a fun title.

[quote name='frob' timestamp='1320164135' post='4879280']

Sorry for the delay. What I want to do is try to make a game that is profitable, but that differs from other casual type of games. I wanted advice about which one would make me more money if I make a fun title.
[/quote]
"Fun" and "business" are poor partners -- one doesn't correlate too much with the other. Also, people have very different expectations from a console title vs. a mobile title -- so, that's another thing to consider.

With no knowledge of the product, all we can do is take a "guess" at which would be more profitable. Considering overall turnover, I'd say Apple's AppStore is the better deal. But... that's really not saying much, as you'd probably not be in the 1% that make any serious profit.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!