• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
robobrain

Leaderboards?

This topic is 2574 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are people using for leaderboards? It doesn't seem like there is much out there unless you want to get involved with Mochi or a service like that.

I was thinking about releasing a small, open source, leaderboard script in PHP. Totally flat file, no MySQL. Easily Accessible via POST and JSON.

Would people be interested in something like that?

Advertisement
How will you handle the fact that every single game out there (clones of other games notwithstanding) is going to want to store a totally different set of stats on its leaderboard?

Don't be so quick to the gun ApochiPiQ.
Game Center does a fairly decent job of it. You basically have choices on whether your scores are integral or time-based, and the format for the integers and times, and a postfix string, one for singular and one for plural.
Then the choice to sort up or down (higher scores tend to be sorted high-first while times tend to be low-first) and a slew of other micro-properties that can come together to suit nearly any scoring system.

It would be worth the original poster's time to take a look at it.

I would say there is a demand for such a system, but after seeing how thorough Game Center is I would caution you that if you plan to make one you are in for a ride.

L. Spiro

Apparently I was misinterpreted. My apologies.

I'm not trying to suggest that the idea has no merit - far from it. I simply was curious how much thought the OP has put into the scope of the project.

How will you handle the fact that every single game out there (clones of other games notwithstanding) is going to want to store a totally different set of stats on its leaderboard?

The fact that it's open source and easily customizable. It would come prepackaged with like name/score, but anything else would require a bit of customization. Probably via a config file or admin area.

Game Center does a fairly decent job of it. You basically have choices on whether your scores are integral or time-based, and the format for the integers and times, and a postfix string, one for singular and one for plural.
Then the choice to sort up or down (higher scores tend to be sorted high-first while times tend to be low-first) and a slew of other micro-properties that can come together to suit nearly any scoring system.

I would say there is a demand for such a system, but after seeing how thorough Game Center is I would caution you that if you plan to make one you are in for a ride.

L. Spiro

Thanks, I see what you mean. I will have to take a long look at Game Center.

Hidden

L. Spiro

Thanks, I see what you mean. I will have to take a long look at Game Center.

Ah, so you're talking about providing a leaderboard kit that others could run for themselves, rather than a hosted service?

Sounds like a plan!

Ah, so you're talking about providing a leaderboard kit that others could run for themselves, rather than a hosted service?

Sounds like a plan!

Exactly. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!