• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Help me move on

This topic is 2391 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'll try to be brief, but here is my story.

I am Littlenorwegians, a pretty much no-brand developer of flash games since 2006-ish.

Right, so here's the thing. I need to move on now, I feel. I've been stuck in a rut making point & click games and I've always been sort of hindered by my own misdirection and lack of programming knowledge.

Here's the thing. I am currently going to a school for game design. I am learning lots about engines like the Unreal Development Kit and Unity. I've also gotten a lot of hours put in on 3d modelling and other things like animation, texturing, effects and so on.

GOAL:
Now what I want to do is quite simple. I want to tap into the Android game development market or perhaps the indie PC market.
I want to start making better and more complex games. I am currently making design documents for a roguelike game or a RPG, of course quite simple, but with room to grow. To start, I just want a picture of what I need to know, then I'll spend a long time learning and hopefully start developing. I just need help from you to know where to start. Just ask questions if I am not making any sense.

What I need here, generally speaking, is some direction. I need an engine to work in. I need to learn programming, especially.
This is a sort of plead for help and question of where do I start in this regard. I am all open for input and I will try to answer any questions you ask.

Advertisement
Android is largely powered by Java applications (with some exceptions), so you'll probably want to look at Java tools. That's outside my personal area of expertise, so the best I can suggest would be to do some web searches for Java game libraries, particularly ones compatible with (or designed for) Android. Shouldn't be hard.

You'll also need the Android SDK and either an emulator or an actual physical Android device; again, some quick web searches can turn up plenty of resources on how to get started with that stuff.

And of course if you run into any specific issues, please feel free to drop back by and ask!

Android is largely powered by Java applications (with some exceptions), so you'll probably want to look at Java tools. That's outside my personal area of expertise, so the best I can suggest would be to do some web searches for Java game libraries, particularly ones compatible with (or designed for) Android. Shouldn't be hard.

You'll also need the Android SDK and either an emulator or an actual physical Android device; again, some quick web searches can turn up plenty of resources on how to get started with that stuff.

And of course if you run into any specific issues, please feel free to drop back by and ask!

Right, OK, I'll just throw it out there I need a place to start with Java then.
I've dabbled in Actionscript, but learning a programming like Java is mighty tempting. But I need help.
Again, where to start. I've sorta tried looking for Java tutorials and books, but they often trail off into webdesign, math programs and go in weird directions not intended for games.

I'll do some web searching. I have an Android device. HTC Desire, to be exact.

I've spent nearly 2 years learning 3D and using engines like UDK and would like to actually do a few tests.
I am considering something where you have a simple 3d world and every character is "2,5D", basically animated opacity maps (Think Doom, Wolfenstein, Ultima Underworld, Orcs and Elves)
Now, I am not trying to take too big of a bite and I kneel to you people's wisdom when it comes to where to start. I just want that to be an end goal. Basically, it's a question if that's at all possible to make.

TL;DR Where do I start studying Java in a manner that is tailored for Android Apps. Also, is 3D gaming optimal with this programming language?

Being a great help, by the way.

That should be very doable. One place you could start would be Unity for Android, which should give you a good mix of the engine experience you've built up with dabbling in the lower-level programming side of things.

I guess part of the trickiness of your situation is that you're actually working on two goals: making games, and learning programming. Certainly you can do both at the same time, but blending the two will be slightly more complicated than just doing one or the other. A lot of the stuff you've learned about larger engines is going to go missing when you start writing your own code, and on the flip side, a lot of engines won't give you the complete control and flexibility you may come to expect from writing stuff yourself. So it'll be a balancing act, but certainly not impossible or even overly difficult.

As I like to say around here, the best goals to reach for are ones that you pick for yourself. What you find interesting and motivating will get you a lot further down the road than some artificial milestone that other people suggest. So if the 2.5D/3D thing sounds like something you'd want to do, then go for it!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!