• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
DerekCiesielski

Staple Books

This topic is 2603 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been looking over these forums for about a month now, just trying to absorb some good information and putting some of it to use. I have gotten some basic collision detection algorithms to work and the like, but now am looking to further improve my knowledge on my own.

As I figured, there is a wealth of books, both current and outdated on all aspects of game design, programming, modeling, animation, etc.

Since I don't much care for Amazon reviews/reviewers, are there any commonly agreed upon and current staple books/series for any of these categories? Obviously most of this is probably up to personal opinion, but I figured there has to be at least a few the community agrees upon.

Looking for but not limited to:
OpenGL, DirectX, XNA, other frameworks/APIs
Game programming in 'x' language (C++, C#, Java mainly)
Scripting
Blender, 3dsMax other modeling/animation tools
Lighting, Physics, Math
Level design, engine design, general design

Really just looking for any good information sources, both beginner and advanced. I'm sure there's a lot of worthless/outdated books out there that I'd like to avoid.

Sorry if something like this is listed anywhere else. I didn't see a sticky in this beginners forum, and would only see the occasional reference to a book in a thread.

Advertisement

OpenGL, DirectX, XNA, other frameworks/APIs
Game programming in 'x' language (C++, C#, Java mainly)
Scripting
Blender, 3dsMax other modeling/animation tools
Lighting, Physics, Math
Level design, engine design, general design

You should evaluate the scope you are looking for. Regardless of how much you know it's unwise to try to be a designer, programmer, and artist. You just won't have enough time to do all of them well even if you have the ability to do all of them well.

That said, The Pragmatic Programmer and Code Complete are both fairly good for programming.

In fact, on amazon they are usually bundled. They were when I just went there, but I don't know if it randomly generates the "frequently bought together" bundles.
http://www.amazon.co...20240003&sr=8-1

Design Patterns is also bundled with it, and it's also good; though less good than the first two (because the first two are really good, not because the latter is bad).

edit: the kindle editions are almost half price D: You could get these books and a kindle and the kindle will have already half paid for itself. If you're going to be buying a bunch of textbooks I would recommend a kindle just because you save so much money on the books the reader can slowly pay for itself.

You should evaluate the scope you are looking for. Regardless of how much you know it's unwise to try to be a designer, programmer, and artist. You just won't have enough time to do all of them well even if you have the ability to do all of them well.

Agreed, right now I'm just looking at everything (at least beginners wise) assuming at some point I will find 'that thing' and focus my scope. But I'm just generally interested in most aspects/Looking for some reading to kill time with. Even if I would never do it, I would still be interested in at least reading about basics of it.

Way ahead of you on the kindle. Honestly even if all someone ever did was read the newspaper on it, there is no reason not to have one with how cheap they are versus how much time/space/money they save. Plus the battery life is amazing if you get the non-DX/Fire models, though the DX is still decent.

Thanks for the starting suggestions though.

Honestly I don't know of any staples for these relatively limited areas. Most staples are around program design, algorithms & data structures, general language gotchas, project management... the foundations for programming.

Agreed, right now I'm just looking at everything (at least beginners wise) assuming at some point I will find 'that thing' and focus my scope. But I'm just generally interested in most aspects/Looking for some reading to kill time with. Even if I would never do it, I would still be interested in at least reading about basics of it.

If you just want beginner level scope knowledge then you should just check out gamasutra/altdevblog/here. Pretty much any textbook assumes you will have a beyond basic interest in whatever it is about. After the first 2 chapters you will probably be outside what is considered "basic" knowledge.

Save some money, surf the internet, and when you have enough knowledge to decide the path you want to go down start investing your money in that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!