• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Slightly amibitious I know

This topic is 2299 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey there,

I'm new to the world of game programming, and I'm only familiar with HTML and CSS, so I understand it'll be no walk in the park.

Can anyone show me any tutorials they found really helpful? I'm not looking to design the next big thing, just maybe a small little village game which I can experiment with, and keep adding too.

Thank you,
Ryan

Advertisement
What you need to learn depends on what type of game you want to develop, and it also depends on which platform you intend to target.

For example...

- browser-based, tick-based games: learn a web programming language like PHP (and MySQL will help, too)
- real-time, 2D games deployable via browser: learn Flash/ActionScript
- real-time, 3D games deployable via browser: check out Unity, or learn Java and deploy via applet
- downloadable 2D games: use Game Maker, or learn C++ and a 2D library like Allegro or SDL, or learn Java, or learn ____ (many different options here)
- downloadable 3D games: learn C++ and a 3D engine like Irrlicht or Ogre, or learn Java and look into 3D graphics
- mobile games for Android: learn Java and check out the Android SDK, or check out App Game Kit

There are many other options for each type of game, of course, but those are a few examples.

To offer a starting point, we'll need to know more about what type of game you actually want to develop.

It would definitely be a browser game, where you don't have to download anything, and I'd do everything I could to stay away from Flash - so a basic 2D game would be fine.

I'm not 100% on what it would be, how you win etc, but I'd like it if the users could go around the village, speaking to the community, and be able to like walk up to a villager, and click to chat to them - so basically just a community game, maybe earn coins etc.

Sorry it's not much.

Like what josh suggested, for a browser game you need to know some server side scripting language like PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby etc. Also you need to learn some SQL in order to store your game data.
And for animations and chat some JavaScript is required ( You could also use JavaScript libraries like jQuery, YUI, etc ).

Ah i almost forgot:

I don't know about any online resource that teach how to create a browser game but here are some tutorials for mentioned tools to get you started:

PHP 101

Asp.net website contains tutorials for both web-forms and MVC

SQL Course

JavaScript on w3schools.com, its more reference than tutorial but still useful

HTH

to animate sprites you need to learn at leasts the basics of flash or canvas or probably other tools that let you "draw"dynamicly on the screen. With php and javascript/jquery you can easily move sprites around but in a very in-efficient way. I tried doing a tile based sci-fi game a year or 2 ago with just php, Jquery and Mysql, but for movement of my ship (which just jumped from tile to tile) i really needed something like flash or canvas. I didn't took the time to learn it though since i already though about learning a real language so invested my time in C# instead of action script.

Go with html5/JavaScript to start with:
http://michalbe.blogspot.com/2010/09/simple-game-with-html5-canvas-part-1.html

You don't need to learn server scripting unless you need persistence. It's more complicated.

Go with html5/JavaScript to start with:
http://michalbe.blog...vas-part-1.html

You don't need to learn server scripting unless you need persistence. It's more complicated.

Html5/Canvas is nice but you should keep it in mind that only new versions of browsers support it. Unless you want your games to be only one session long and don't want to save any data (highscores, player items, etc) you're fine without a server scripting language. Also learning a server scripting language like PHP is not harder than learning JavaScript.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement