• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
daedalus316

An Evergrowing Text Based RPG

This topic is 2476 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok just before I actually start, I am aware that I do not have any intention of making this game, i just want to throw the idea out and see what we can cpme up with, so please be nice and don't flame me.

Ok so onto the idea. The basic premises is you are in a fantasy universe, similar to The Elder Scolls, and you can get quests, and can travel and explore. So it should have most of the basic RPG elements in ther like inventory qnd weapons. But here is the fun bit... The game can be qlmost infinetley modified by the user. Since it is text based yiu could say cut down the elm tree, and it would and you would get wood. Think minecraft but text. The basic engine would not be too hard to write(as far as I know)but the advancd features could get difficult.

Strong Points:
-text based, so high focus on gamplay elemnts and th engine instead of graphicw, so co plex stuff with less hardware strain
-easy to collaborate, just get poeple to write and give descriptions and then put it all together.

So guys is this feasible? Would it be crazy hard? Anythinf like this already exist?

I mqinly want to discuss the main gameplay elements more than the story. This would be a pretty fun littlem project to me.

Advertisement
Somewhat unrelated to modifying the attributes of "rooms" but there were several MUD systems which allow for the world to be added to -- though usually this privilege was reserved for admins, moderators or long-time players, and not a primary gameplay element. If you're too young to know, MUD stands for Multi-User Dungeon, and was an early multiplayer, (usually) text-based game format. In some ways they were the first MMORPGs, although they were hardly "massive".

I kinda like it, but not too much. Since it's text based, I think the game should be more centered in letting the players create their own stories and quests of sorts, for other players, instead of making the game about the world in text, make it about the story.

It would be kinda hard to make work, but with a good interface maybe it could become quite popular!

But I dont think that making it multiplyer will be a good idea. The way i imagined it was a singleplayer exploring this vast world and making thier mark on it. But a simple graphical Interface could be good, letting the player create thier thinga with a visual guide. while i have never played MuDS i do know thr concept and they seem interesting but as i said before keeping it aingle player couls be fun or maybe co-op? Story is a drfinate muat and it needs to be good but it whould. Ot be the focus of the entire game.

There is a design element that would need to be addressed which is: a process of vetting (inspecting) the added content before its actually made operational in the game.
The created additions would liklely be able to change player attributes/inventory etc and could be made destructive by a player intentionally or accidentally.
Thus you would want to first add specific limitations to what the players new increment is allowed to do (possibly with additional abilities opening once the creating player is advanced).
You would want to review the content thoroughly including the code/scripts to see what it could/might do as well as the usual censoring/rejection of inappropriate text etc...

Another issue may also be trying to resolve conflicts when more than one player makes a change in the same area (ie- 2 players try to submit a new WEST corridor leading to their addition in the same room) You may need some kind of advance checkout mechanism to pre-allocate the change slot so that two players cannot be changing the same existing element.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!