• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
poker9989

Directx Application

This topic is 2540 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all,
I'm new to DirectX and I have an example of a DirectX program, however I only have the application file and not the code but would like to see how the program runs through the code.
Is there any way to extract the coding part from the application so that I can view it?
Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

Hi all,
I'm new to DirectX and I have an example of a DirectX program, however I only have the application file and not the code but would like to see how the program runs through the code.
Is there any way to extract the coding part from the application so that I can view it?
Thanks for your time.

No you cannot. It would also be illegal. Get the free XNA dev kit. It has a lot of examples, tuts, etc... That should get you going.

www.XNA.com

[quote name='directcplus' timestamp='1320265679' post='4879849']
Hi all,
Thanks for your time.

No you cannot. It would also be illegal. Get the free XNA dev kit. It has a lot of examples, tuts, etc... That should get you going.

www.XNA.com
[/quote]

FWIW decomplation/reverse engineering is not illegal, per se, it's just that some EULAs forbid it in the interest of protecting trade secrets or whatever the justification is. With that said, though, MJP hit the nail on the head. Realistically, you're only going to be able to get back to (likely x86) assembly language, which makes the process of understanding the code a billion times harder due to structuring/optimization, etc. If you want to learn how Direct3D works, yoink the DXSDK from MSDN and go through the samples.

Hi all,
Thanks for your time.

Assuming you are talking about a Direct3D application, if it is debuggable with PIX, you could at least have a look at Direct3D methods involved in the workflow. If the shader is not precompiled, you could also be able to look at it....
But as MJP suggestion, unless you are use to go down this kind of reverse-enginering-road, this is a waste of time compare to learn from basic tutorials and books.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!